PDA

View Full Version : HELP--periodic stalling

Chad Mac
03-18-2004, 11:01
Somebody help . . . please! First episode, engine cold stalled on me and wouldn't start. I called the tow truck. Next morning, it fired right up and drove fine. Later that day, engine cold died on me again and wouldn't restart. I pulled the fuel filter out to check it and reinstalled. It fired right up and drove fine all the way home (20 miles). Next day, got new fuel filter and drained filter can with the T valve and ran fine all day. Next day, engine cold died on me twice but restarted both times. Today, engine cold died once but restarted. THIS IS GETTING REALLY FRUSTRATING! Where should I start?

Thanks,
Chad Mac

morgan
03-18-2004, 13:07
1st: tell us what truck/year/engine/tranny you have.

2nd: go to the Diesel Page homepage and look for Jim Bigley's checklist for stalling. Could be a lot of things. See our "Classic FSD failure" topic in this forum. It's a doozy.

3rd: fear not, we've all been there! I still love mine, but it's a tough love.

Chad Mac
03-18-2004, 14:38
Sorry about that one . . . I guess letting you know what kind of truck it is would help. It's a 1996 K3500 Crew Cab 6.5 TD w/NV4500 5 speed. I looked at the stalling article and most of those stalling issues except for the fuel filter were heat related issues. My stalling is occuring 5-7 minutes after start-up while the engine is still relatively cold. After I get it started back up again and it heats up (20-30 minutes of driving), it runs great. That's the frustrating part along with the fact that I just put a new fuel filter in it. I'm not quiting though. I still love the truck!

Thanks,
Chad Mac

rjwest
03-18-2004, 15:15
Go back through posts and read ALL, FSD related
topics, I think you will find your simptom
and possible cures.

Keith Richards
03-18-2004, 19:09
Chad, how many miles does your truck have?The injection pump is covered for 120,000 in case you didn't know.I had same problem last year and it may have only been the fsd but I got a new injection pump for free.I'ts worth a shot unless of course youre over the 120 mark.

Chad Mac
03-19-2004, 07:15
Unfortunately, I just past the 174K mark so I'm hoping it's not the pump. If it is, this one's coming out of my pocket.

ucdavis
03-19-2004, 15:59
If you can, read the codes or have somebody do that.
If you have no codes, it is likely the FSD. Might just need the FSD nuts torqued.
For FSD info galore, try: http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005199#000000

or: http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005013#000000

Chad Mac
03-20-2004, 15:16
Thanks UC and all others for your help. Those links are very detailed. I'm going to follow those steps to see if I can isolate the problem. I'll be posting again when I fix it.

Thanks again,
Chad Mac

Jim P
03-21-2004, 16:56
My fsd was bad and it would stall about three times while warming up in my driveway. After that it usually ran all the way to work without stalling. While warming up at work it would usually only stall once and then would drive home without stalling. With the new fsd the problem is gone.