PDA

View Full Version : too much power...

big dipper
09-08-2002, 20:02
I thought that the Allison could only handle so much power before it went into limp? The stacking or even the reflashes of 120hp alone I thought would be enough to do this. Am I missing something here? Haven't there been a few occasions where people have experienced this with just the juice and exhaust? I know before ATS was offering upgrades, but no one had any experience with them. Anybody done any mods?

I know you can lock out 5th and be OK to a certain point, but what about when you are towing and want the extra power?

SoCalDMAX
09-09-2002, 00:00
The Juice monitors tranny slip and will back off before it goes into limp mode. I have slipped 5th gear with the Juice and propane on a big hill, pushing it very hard. There's no way that I would tow with level 4 and propane on, up a hill like that.

If someone were to stack power mods and make 450hp (just to pick a random number) I would think the Alison would handle it OK thru 4th gear. The 5th gear clutches are the weak spot.

Now in the case of towing a 12,000lb trailer, that's a diferent matter. There comes a point where you're making more power than the turbo can supply air for, thus your EGTs will rise. Depending on the grade, weight of the load, and how far the pedal is pushed, one could go into unsafe territory for an extended period. Nobody even knows how far you can push the EGTs for how long on the Dmax yet.

Bottom line, I think in terms of towing power, we'll hit EGT limits before tranny power limits. JMHO, your mileage may vary. ;)

Regards ,Steve

motovet
09-09-2002, 00:17
Mine went into limp twice with the original 3.0 version of the juice. The 3.0 had a harder hit than the 3.61 I am running now and didn't power down at shifts like this box does. I miss the old box but this one is smoother and I am sure it is for good reason. I guess the bottom line is if you don't set any codes with any of these new mods you are good to go.

big dipper
09-09-2002, 14:46
Well, I was on the phone with JK, while his WIFE was driving his truck with a juice and who knows what else (knowing JK), towing in the neighborhood of 17,000gcw and IIRC he said he was in level 4. He also told me the EGT's were very stable but I would be guessing to try to say what they were.I do know while we were on the phone, I could not really hear his truck even with that big 5" on there - amazingly enough. Maybe he will have more input when he returns.

I understand what you are saying SoCal, but I think we can go a bit higher than just the juice and still be able to tow - even in 5th, without having any problems. I mean, it is a DURAMAX and ALLISON you know! :D Locking out 5th is only a fix for hot rodding, I want to be able to rain on someones parade while on the highway if need be, even if it is only to 98mph. That is ample speed to prove a point - even to a minivan - although others on the page will disagree. Right NutNbutGMC?

SoCalDMAX
09-09-2002, 15:52
I guess how much power one is willing to try to put down while towing depends on how high they're willing to let the EGTs get. On level ground, level 4, cruising at 65mph, EGTs should be very low. But if you hit a big hill and expect to crest it still doing 65mph, then EGTs are gonna climb.

I thought I remember JK saying he has already done something to his turbo, which would help keep EGTs down while making more power. I'd love to join you in raining on that parade ;) We'll just have to see what it's gonna take to increase airflow, put down 450hp and keep EGTs under 1300.

Speaking of EGTs, I have the SPA gauges and tho they're very accurate and precise, the probe has an effect. I had th e 1/8" probe and it responded immediately, reading gas temps. It burned out in 6 mos and now I have a 1/4" probe. It reacts slower, but is probably a little closer to actual valve/exhaust port/exhaust pipe/turbo temps. Just because the probe is reading 1300* doesn't mean that anything in the exhaust tract is quite that high yet. It takes a while for the components to heat up.

I have only towed once, and it was ~3500 lbs of car. I promptly forgot it was behind me and started crowding slowpokes in the fast lane at 75mph. A CHP on a motorcycle came up to the PS window and motioned for my wife to roll the window down. He hollered, "You need to be doing 55 in that lane!" (motioning to the slow lane.) I sheepishly nodded and moved over.

So with my luck, I'll never get away with cruising over the speed limit with a trailer anyways... ;)

Regards, Steve

big dipper
09-09-2002, 16:15
I never tow as much as most others here either, but I have always lived by the rule of more is always better. Most I think I have ever towed is 10,000lbs and I had no problem. You also hit the nail on the head as to towing at safe speeds, but I have made quite a few trips with 4-7000lbs on a well set up trailer where it was easy to cruise 70-75.

Now that you mention it, I also think I recall JK having modified his turbo, but I do not know of any detail. I know he told me SHE was pulling grades in 5th with the trailer at 70mph, but I can't remember the EGT's. I was impressed with that and the fact I could hear him over the exhaust.

450hp might be a bit much if your talking rear wheel, but I would be happy with 400! ;) Friday night at the track has gotten my motor running again, if you know what I mean? In reality the BD was plenty along with Juice, but that's not what life is about!

Can you give an estimate of the increase with the Power Play on the Juice? I know the gains are not as large and I think you might have said they were minimal, but if you could......

Kennedy
09-09-2002, 17:38
Yeah, SHE got mad at me for making a call as we crossed The Divide, and then cautioning her that she should watch the EGT's when it dropped out of OD. Cruise was set at 74mph. At 69mph it dropped to 4th, relocked and pulled back to 74 and held. Yes EGT's were a concern at approx 20k combined.

On the return trip I was a bit easier on it and ran 69mph. It dropped to 64mph, downshifted, and pulled back up.

Yes I have the modified turbo on, but it's still in development. It works pretty well, but unlike the stock unit, you can get "under it" and make like a locomotive. This should be worked out soon.

This weekend I subjected my D/A to a whole lot more than it was ever designed for, and it performed flawlessly! Of course the Allison DID have a little help which combined with the "guardian angel" transmission monitoring in the Juice, turned out to be a real winner!

dmaxstu
09-09-2002, 19:37
I see all you guys having a lot of fun raining on other folk's parade with the JUICE.
Well us stockers are having our own kind of fun without even the JUICE. Case in point, as we(wife & I) were traveling south on highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary towing our TT I had the Cruise set for 110 kliks (Canadian for 70MPH) I passed numerous other RV's of all descriptions,after checking in to the campground in Calgary as we were walking out to get situated all those other RV's were rolling in. They were the same 5 I had passed on the way. I never imagined this truck was even going to get me a better campsite or maybe the last campsite,LOL. Stu