PDA

View Full Version : Pyrometer Install?

Jim Dandy
06-06-2002, 08:04
Now that I have my boost and rear end sensors hooked up on my SPA gauges its on to the pyrometer. I'll be mounting the clamp style sensor on the down pipe.

My question is: What is the best and easiest route to get access to the down pipe for drilling the hole and mounting the sensor? Also, how far up or down the pipe should I mount?

As always, thanks for any input.

Kennedy
06-06-2002, 08:17
The clamp in probe will likely need to be mountd where the pipe is 3" just below the Vee clamp.

DSLPOWR
06-06-2002, 23:19
I agree with hoot on this one, you will get much more accurate temperature readings on the manifold and it's much easier to access when installing the probe. As for the clamp on style you should be able to use that on the manifold as well if you find the apropriate place where the clamp can go all the way around.

NickLeinonen
06-07-2002, 16:18
the exhaust manifolds are cast iron, correct???

i haven't ever tapped cast iron [at least not that i remember.] i've done lots of aluminum and steel.. is cast iron any different? drill the right size, and then run the tap through it with some cool tool or lube on the tap. that's it????

Amianthus
06-10-2002, 10:44
There are several ways (techniques) to tap the manifold. You can load the tap with grease to catch the shavings. You can run the engine to plow the shavings out. You can stick an air hose up your tailpipe (I did this) and pressurize it. You can just tap it and use a magnet to get the chips out.

It basicly works the same as steel. But if you get real agressive with it or don't drill it properly, you can crack it. And that would suck. Take your time and you'll be fine.

Flyboy
06-10-2002, 18:13
Is there any location pre-turbo that would read both banks? Installing the probe in just one manifold will only read the temperature of that bank. One bank could be hotter than the other. A lot of aircraft read the temp of each cylinder and there can be quite a variation.

Kennedy
06-10-2002, 19:07
My point exactly. Kinda boils down to 6 of one, half dozen...

I went pre, but think that post is plenty fine for a general reading of condition so long as one sets a lesser maximum safe level.

Jim Dandy
06-12-2002, 07:46
Got it mounted last night. Went with the clamp on the downpipe. Very simple to do through the right wheel well. Went for a run up a short steep hill at WOT for about 3/4 mile and saw 800 F. I think I'll put the tranny sensor from the DG214 up near the radio where it will pick up some heat. Maybe my wife won't be so cold all the time if I can show her its 90 in the cab.

The gauge and sensor mounting has been fun. I must find a new project. :D

[ 06-12-2002: Message edited by: Jim Dandy ]</p>

Amianthus
06-12-2002, 12:26
Nah. She'll still be cold. That's just the way they are. :D