PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on STP/ACDelco oil Filters and fuel filters

A||||1||Robert W. Jones||Diesel Timing Light?||||5||||Stray Cat||00012887
06-04-2002, 19:49
I would like your opinions on STP oil filters. Have you used them? Do you think they are just as good as the ACDelco ones?

Or would I be better to stay with ACDelco oil filters? Are there any places in Port Huron or Detroit Michigan that sell them cheaper then the dealers? (I live in Ontario Canada and they want $25 CDN per filter. Whereas the STP ones are $4.99 U.S., much cheaper.)

Any suggestions on fuel filters? Is there a better/cheaper one them what the dealers sell? Any places in Michigan (Port Huron, Detroit area that sell them cheaper?)

Thank you for your time.
Sheldon

Driving a 2001 3500 Duramax 4WD LT and love it!

crafty
06-05-2002, 08:31
I can by the AC Delco oil filters for $17.70 here in town and I bought a case of Fuel Filters from DIS in Texas. By the time I paid all the duty, shipping and taxes it worked out to $40 (Can.) a filter. I am down around London a few times in the summer so if you want a filter or two I can arrange something.
Personally I would stay with the AC Delco oil filters and the fuel filters I have are the original Racor-Parker ones that GM uses. i don't want to go off brand on either one of them. :D :D :D

FirstDiesel
06-05-2002, 16:09
I haven't found anyone in town selling the AC filter other than the dealer. I am getting them from Rock Auto on the internet.

http://www.rockauto.com

The cost for 2 filters with shipping minus my discount was $27.20. I think ordering larger quanties will save a little because you will pay less per filter shipping.

The also have the air filter and the cabin air filter.

If you really want to be nice if you order from them in the line where it says "where did you here about us" put the number 7222. You will get 5 % off the order and I will get a spiff. After you order the first time you will get your own "personal number" good for 5% off and credit if you get others to use the website.

No affliation with these guys, just a satisfied customer.

[ 06-05-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

1BADDMAX
06-05-2002, 17:52
I am currently running an STP 9100 from AutoZone. It cost $4.99. It's now got 2500 miles on it from the last oil change. No leaks or problems that I can see. Seems to be a well constructed filter.

FirstDiesel
06-05-2002, 18:39
You may want to read this website before you decide to use other than the recomended brand of filters.

http://www.scuderiaciriani.com/rx7/oil_filter_study/

Of course this is just one man's opinion but I found his info interesting and it has affected my choice of filters. Since we have 5 cars for 2 drivers at this house and 2 of them race I tend to try to minimize my work in taking care of them.

No Fram or STP filters in my garage.

Colorado Kid
06-05-2002, 18:55
I'm not going to spend all afternoon digging for it but somebody on this forum cut up some filters and said that aside from the color on the can the STP was IDENTICAL to the AC-Delco.

I'll spend my $4.99 and take my chances with what appears to me as well to be identical to the one the much less convinient dealer will sell me for a whole lot more money. STP is not Fram.

Fuel Filters: got me a supply that should last till 90,000 miles (5 of them, + the one from Ohio) from DIS for $90.50 dilvered to my porch.

06-05-2002, 19:00
Thank you for all for your advice.

Sheldon

Lone Eagle
06-05-2002, 19:03
I was told on this forum awhile back the STP and AC are both made by Champion Labs. This is a top notch filter company. Later! Lone Eagle

Colorado Kid
06-05-2002, 19:07
First Diesel:

After making the previous post I did go to the referenced site. IF you'll take a look at his list of "tell tale signs" and at the AC-Delco filter for the Duramax you'll find that it does not have the signs listed for a Delco on the site, but it looks just like a Champion...Also known as STP. So I guess you do have an STP filter in your garage (if your truck is parked there).

FirstDiesel
06-05-2002, 20:01
Since I don't yet have a AC filter for the DMAX I haven't been able to compare. I just know that I'm not happy with his info on some of the other filters and if I can I'll avoid them. Especially with the high pressure the Dmax runs at.

Brandenburg
06-05-2002, 20:37
For the heck of it, I searched the autozone site for a fuel filter and came up with a Deutsch part number LFF8736. However, the site says the filter is neither available in stores nor online.

On the O'Reilly autoparts site, I found a WIX fuel filter part number 33810 for $29.99 :eek:

Maxter
06-05-2002, 20:52
Sheldon:

Got my ACDelco at my local UAP Napa dealer for about 17$ CAN. The next info is not really relevant if the STP is really the same as the ACDelco.

You can check there:

NAPA London Bessemer
105 Bessemer Rd
London, ON, N6E 1P9

Phone : (519) 681-4150
Fax: (519) 681-9634

NAPA London Bessemer
105 Bessemer Rd
London, ON, N6E 1P9

Phone : (519) 681-4150
Fax: (519) 681-9634

Good luck.

06-06-2002, 07:44
Maxter,

I just called them, and they only sell the Wix filters at about $9.00.

Sheldon

MNBowTie
06-06-2002, 11:58
Sheldon,

My local auto parts store sells the PF2232 for $11.99 each. I asked for the case price and the priced dropped to $7.49 each. PS, Champion makes the filter for STP-by-STP standards. I don't think it is just paint and a sticker difference here. If, I change oil, say 5 times a year the difference would be $12.50 for a year. I would keep checking around if I were you.

Jomar
06-06-2002, 14:56
I joined the Amsoil group as a dealer a while back and I get their products at quite a discount. The new Super Duty Filter for the Dmax is SDF52 and is supposed to be extended life, and I pay a little over 8.00 ea. for them.

John G.

06-06-2002, 18:11
MNBowTie, Could you tell me the store, maybe they have a store in Michigan where I could buy them.

Thanks
Sheldon

Nut4Trucks
06-06-2002, 19:49
I took the black gm filter and an STP filter to work with me and let about 20 people do a side by side test examining them as much as they wanted. I covered the markings on each filter. So, there was a black filter and a blue filter. I said, "one of these is $18 dollars and one is $4.99 can you tell me which one and why?" Based on the weight and case thickness almost everybody chose the STP as the expensive filter. Since they are in fact made by Champion laboratories they have the same bypass valve and everything. After a board member was kind enough to send me pics of the STP and GM filter cut open and the only difference was the STP had more (smaller holes) 8 versus 5 in the GM and the number of pleats in the filter media (differing only by a few). I took the GM filter back to the dealership and went to autozone and bought all the filters they had. Chargin' $18 for an oil filter just ain't christian behavior. Just my 2 cents.

mdrag
06-06-2002, 20:14
Here are my pics of the OEM Champion, AC Delco PF2232, OEM fuel filter, and Baldwin B1441 oil filter - all cut open and many comparison pics:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=526359&uid=157168

The original Baldwin B1441 was recalled and redesigned - the new design Balwin has the same filter number B1441, but now has an unfluted case and is much heavier. I remember reading that the AC Delco and Champion filters were also changed - but have not seen one personally to confirm this.

ON EDIT: I have not cut open a 'new design' Baldwin B1441, or a Racor fuel filter yet, but plan to when it is time to change these two filters on my truck.

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

mackin
06-06-2002, 20:58
FirstDiesel,

That is a pretty :cool: site ....... I to will, and do stick with the AC or the *** (not political correct, but neither am I) filter ....... Doesn't matter to me how they dice and splice and rip the guts out for display ........ At $10 bucks a piece for know in a few months the will be $4.99 at the local auto discount store too, I'll pay for....... Peace of mind "BROTHA" peace of mind ....... Hate to be one of those OOP'S ....... Remember when STP was out when we were a "LITTLE" younger emphasis on LITTLE. All the combo words that were substituted ....... Will they every live it down ...... Not in my world ........ Go AC .......

tongue.gif "Always" "correct"

MAC smile.gif

Hey it took out *** ........
It did it again
[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ] :mad:

*** rymes with crap, slap, nap, tap, map, Change to a "J"
So there Mr. software "GEEK"...... tongue.gif

[ 06-06-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

MNBowTie
06-06-2002, 21:19
Sheldon,

The name of the store is Champion Auto Stores. As far as I know they are only based in the Minneapolis area. They recently, sold off a number of their stores to a company called Checker Auto stores and there are only a couple of the Champion stores remaining. I would think you could find a local store willing to give you a decent price break on case purchase.

Good Luck,

AKDmax
06-06-2002, 22:54
MNBowTie, Ahh, I remember the days. I used to work at the Champion on Rice Street. Just down from Kath auto. You fimiliar with the area?

Sheldon,
Don't rule out ac-direct dot com. worked out pretty good for me, even with shipping to AK. More companies are coming out with filters, it's only going to get easier to make the choice at your local store.

crafty
06-07-2002, 07:18
Sheldon,
Do you want me to inquire as to the cost of a case of AC filters from the store in Peterborough? I can deliver them in less than a month when I'm down visiting family. I could meet you at the Flying J (Highbury & 401) If a case is too many for you I would split on one.
Same for the fuel filters. I have 3 spares right now that I will sell for $45 each.
:D :D :D

[ 06-07-2002: Message edited by: crafty ]</p>

06-07-2002, 07:33
crafty, Yes please get the prices.

Sounds Great!

E-Mail me at sheldon@starcs.on.ca

Thanks
Sheldon

FirstDiesel
06-07-2002, 20:33
Colorado Kid

Now that I have a AC filter in my hand I did compare it to the description on the website.

My AC has 5 holes, matches website
Has no spot welds, doesn't match
Has 8 crimps, doesn't match.

The STP/Champ is said to have 6 holes with one larger than the others and 6 crimps. So this doesn't match the AC filter either.

So who knows what the PF2232 filter really is?? Still sounds more like a real AC to me than a STP.

MNBowTie
06-07-2002, 23:55
AKDMax,

My stomping grounds are a bit west of there. Hope you are enjoy AK, I know I would be. I got a price of $8.77 from AC direct.