PDA

View Full Version : SETTING CODES LEFT AND RIGHT!!

PEANUTGRWR
09-03-2002, 20:54
MY DADS D/A IS SETTING THE LIMP HOME OR DEFUEL CODE ALL THE TIME. IF YOU HAMMER DOWN ON IT VERY HARD AT ALL FROM TAKEOFF AS SOON AS IT GETS INTO 4TH AND IF NOT THEN SURELY WHEN IT GETS INTO 5TH IT FALLS ON ITS FACE AND SETS A CODE IMMEDIATELY. IT DOESNT MATTER IF THE JUICE IS ON IT OR NOT. HE DOESNT REGULARLY RUN THE JUICE BUT I PUT IT ON HIS PICKUP TO SEE IF IT MIGHT CURE THE PROBLEM BUT IT DIDNT. THIS TRUCK HAS NEVER BEEN PULLED HARD OR ABUSED LIKE SOME HAVE ;) DO ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG??? :confused:

hoot
09-03-2002, 20:58
PULL HARD WITH IT AND ABUSE IT :D :D

PEANUT,
It's probably somerhing simple like a bad sensor. Kind of hard to evaluate unless you tell the gurus on here what codes are being set.

PEANUTGRWR
09-03-2002, 21:08
OK ILL TRY TO GET IT ON A SCANNER TOMARROW AND FIND OUT WHICH CODE IT IS.

Maverick
09-03-2002, 21:10
Does it do every time or every so often? Check the connector on the fuel pressure sensor. This is where the old power play/ bully dog's used to hook up. I had a bad seal (the orange ribbed) on mine and it created havik with the fuel system. Mine was torn and the dealer couldn't order it without getting the whole harness so they fixed it with rubber cement and it works good. That was around 60,000 miles ago.

A good way to check this is wiggle the connector while its running and see if it acts up. There will be a very noicable RPM flucuation.

[ 09-03-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

PEANUTGRWR
09-03-2002, 21:16
IT DOES IT ALL THE TIME. WHEN ITS IN THE LIMP MODE AND YOU HOLD IT ON THE FLOOR THE RPM'S FLUCTUATE BADLY AROUND THE 2000 RANGE. WHERE IS THIS CONNECTOR LOCATED MAV?

Kennedy
09-03-2002, 21:26
Try a fuel filter and check fuel quality first.

SoCalDMAX
09-03-2002, 22:11
I second the fuel filter suggestion. When mine clogged, it set the SES light and wouldn't rev over 2,000rpm as well. This was the issue I was griping about.

I would prefer if the truck lit a "fuel filter" light on the dash to warn you of increasing fuel filter restriction before going into limp mode. Oh well, maybe the first filter gets filled with mfg debris and the rest of the filters last longer.

Regards, Steve

ksevern
09-04-2002, 09:06
Sounds like a turbo over-boost code. I was having this same problem. Go to your dealer and he will upload the software fix. No problems now.

Maverick
09-04-2002, 13:02
Peanut,
Look at the blue hose on the drivers side. In front of that and down about an inch is a "J" shaped 2" black piece of plastic with wires running through it. The sensor is directly under it. The sensor and plug face the firewall. I have had the over boost code about 5 times and the light just comes on. It still drives the same (like normal). My truck wouldn't go over 2K rpm either with this plug problem. You can try the filter also. Checking the plug just takes a minute. While it is idleing, grab the connector and wiggle up and down. With a good connection nothing will happen. If its bad the RPM's will studder.

[ 09-04-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

Kennedy
09-04-2002, 21:00
I'll go one step further and ask what year, what air intake mods, AND most importantly, when was the last ECM update performed? There are a LOT of updates for "false code" etc.

Heading west for MT any minute now...

PEANUTGRWR
09-04-2002, 21:10
THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT GUYS. WE PUT A FILTER ON IT FIRST THING THIS MORNING AND IT HASNT SET A CODE SINCE. I DIDNT REALIZE THAT THIS WAS A SYMPTOM OF A PLUGGED FUEL FILTER. BOY THIS PAGE PAYS THE BIG DIVIDENDS EVERY TIME I READ IT :D :D , JOHN THE TRUCK HAS THE SWISS CHEESE PEANUTGRWR SIGNATURE SERIES AIRBOX AND THE ECM WAS REFLASHED ABOUT 4 MONTHS AGO.THANKS