PDA

View Full Version : Gauges not working

max out
10-15-2003, 04:03
About every 6 times I start truck the gauges won't be workin, Took it to dealer but they said they couldn't duplacate the problem. they always seem to start working if you shut it off and them restart. Has any one else had this happen? Truck is an 03 with 4900 miles. I think I'm going to drive it straight to dealer next time it happens.

jbplock
10-15-2003, 06:02
max out,

Try a search for "Instrument Cluster" on the "2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain" forum.

Here is one link that talks about a problem similar to yours.

Gauge Cluster Help (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=003812)

DonG
10-15-2003, 11:15
I have an 03 also, and at about 1000 miles the entire dash did not work. I drove it directly to the service dealer and did not shut it off until he saw it completely dead.

He went ahead and shut off the truck and restarted it, still no instruments. I left it with them. That evening they called and said they could not find anything wrong and the instruments had started working.

I have 15,ooo miles on the truck now and the problem has not re-occurred, (knock on wood).

Don

mdadgar
10-15-2003, 19:22
My '02 had this problem. Turned out to be a bad fusebox, replaced under warranty.

- Mark

Modified
01-06-2004, 17:22
I was talking to a co-worker with a 2003 D/A who also had intermittent gauge failures when starting. The Dealer insisted on replacing the gauge assembly, and after that did nothing to fix the failure, the Dealer found the Battery-Right was defective. It appears replacing the battery cured the problem.

With at least one bad battery, the voltage will dip lower when starting. We all know how low voltage dips when starting, and how long it takes to get back to 14.5-15V on a cold start, due to Glow Plugs and Air Intake Heater load. I have also heard, (but haven

ctm
01-12-2004, 19:18
gauges out also,took it to dealer....bad right battery. works fine so far