PDA

View Full Version : DSG PowerBox - Product Review

More Power
10-14-2003, 09:13
DSG PowerBox
Duramax Power Upgrade
By Jim Bigley

http://www.TheDieselPage.com/reviews/dsgvanaaken.htm

Product review: The Duramax 6600 diesel has a lot of untapped potential - just waiting to be unleashed. We've finally tested the latest performance module from Diesel Services Group for the Duramax 6600 that adds more capability to an already strong running powertrain. Teaming up with Van-Aaken Developments, DSG has developed a Duramax performance module that maintains important powertrain safety features, such as transmission slip protection, while delivering a smooth boost in towing power and awesome street performance.

sdaver
10-15-2003, 18:48
INTERESTING get us one to try.......dave

fredw
10-16-2003, 06:12
great review jim:
would been nice to read your review a year ago when i got mine,my install of the switch is exactly the same as where you put it, no problems to date, is the hp tunes DSG's or are they using the va hp tunes, what i can say for the va 110hp setting, is a very smooth hp and to date i never take my truck off of the 110 setting,pulling or not, there was six of us that bought them, and we all talk very positive about them, no tranny issues, the one guy hauls freight and puts lots of miles on, we all see about 2mpg increase as well, 5***** recomend tongue.gif

RanaExcavating1
10-16-2003, 07:54
More Power

Can this box be stacked with the Duramaximizer?

I am preparing to begin the "stack" but have not been able to make a choice. The Edge has the edge from what I have been reading.

I have been content with just the Duramaximzer but think it is time for another prescription!

Keeping in mind the Alli is a virgin do you have any thoughts on a choice?

Kennedy
10-16-2003, 08:07
Fredw,

You'd want to talk to call DSG and ask Trent (he's at the Saskatoon branch) about tunes available. I'm sure that the 90/150 (claimed) is also available through them as well as a couple of Carb certified (50/70 I believe) tunes. I haven't kept as up to date on the VA stuff as I probably should.

Rana,

If you want more with a stock transmission, I'd suggest going to a SINGLE pulse width box, and save the stacking till you have beefed the transmission. I've been opposed to stacking on the stock Allison for some time now, and most (especially the easterners ;) ) who have not heeded my advice have hurt their transmissions...

[ 10-20-2003, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

More Power
10-16-2003, 11:37
I'll leave the "stacking" to you guys... And, like JK suggested, get the Allison upgrades before going too crazy.

The DSG literature said "in cooperation with Van-Aaken Developments, we've developed a module....". So I assume DSG had some input as to the tune available.

According to Trent at DSG, the final version I tested was 90/158. Still smooth and refined... Being able to select power settings on the fly is a nice feature.

MP

mackin
10-16-2003, 12:49
Originally posted by kennedy:
Fredw,

You'd want to talk to call DSG and ask Trent (he's at the Saskatoon branch) about tunes available. I'm sure that the 90/150 (claimed) is also available through them as well as a couple of Carb certified (50/70 I believe) tunes. I haven't kept as up to date on the VA stuff as I probably should.

Rana,

If you want more with a stock transmission, I'd suggest going to a SINGLE pulse width box, and save the stacking till you have beefed the transmission. I've been opposed to stacking on the stock Allison for some time now, and most (especially the easterners ;) ) who have not heeded my advice have hurt their transmissions... I hear ya John I told Tony over and over again (wait till he sees this ;) )... Myself well I refuse to take a perfectly working apparatus apart when it's in good working order, glad I was aware of what I was signing onto like you, Mr. Stacker my mentor .... smile.gif
Man I had a whole lot of fun getting there, I tell you, but yet it was still drivable when we disassembled ...Not perfect but in good shape actually,we were surprised ....Guess it's all in "how" you beat it ... Some would be amazed the abuse an Allison will take and yet not grenade internally .... Unlike our direct competition the Torqushift Allison mimic,Ya right they wish ...I think they left something out ... Their still Old school dip stick sniffers ....
Happy zinging guys ...

Did you ever get your ATS up to par ??
John put the Suncoast in already,be done with it ...Rumor has it Blackjet is getting the shaft from them,and I don't mean he broke one ... :eek:

Mac
:D :D :D

big dipper
10-16-2003, 15:48
Originally posted by kennedy:

... and most (especially the easterners ;) ) who have not heeded my advice have hurt their transmissions... Especially the easterners......what are you trying to say John?

mackin
10-16-2003, 18:59
Originally posted by big dipper:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kennedy:

... and most (especially the easterners ;) ) who have not heeded my advice have hurt their transmissions... Especially the easterners......what are you trying to say John? </font>[/QUOTE]Since your an Eastern US dweller he's telling you to send everything my way since my tranny is done,done fixed .....That goes for the rest of you too !!!

Mac http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif

Kennedy
10-17-2003, 13:31
Originally posted by mackin:

Did you ever get your ATS up to par ??
John put the Suncoast in already,be done with it ...Rumor has it Blackjet is getting the shaft from them,and I don't mean he broke one ... :eek:

Mac
:D :D :D I'm waiting it out a bit as things are happening too fast with Allison upgrade developments. I can't afford to take my truck down now with the shop/dyno project underway, AND when I do it, I don't want to do it again...

[ 10-20-2003, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

MaxACL
10-18-2003, 08:21
John,

How does this box fit in with the ZF-6? And do you sell them?

Mike

Kennedy
10-20-2003, 10:43
For quite some time, this was the only box that allowed power level changes on the fly for 6 speed trucks. I'd prefer not to encroach on DSG's product announcement any further.

max out
10-21-2003, 06:04
where can this kit be gotten and how much?

Kennedy
10-21-2003, 06:23
The very first post has a link to the review etc...

tysmith
10-22-2003, 17:34
Seems to me the east coast is a 'Kennedy Proving Ground.'
I believe there are quite a few trannies that forensics could link back to Loyal... ;)

Ty

mackin
10-22-2003, 20:22
Originally posted by tysmith:
Seems to me the east coast is a 'Kennedy Proving Ground.'
I believe there are quite a few trannies that forensics could link back to Loyal... ;)

Ty ?

[ 10-22-2003, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Buck
10-31-2003, 08:51
ooooops :rolleyes: