PDA

View Full Version : Slight vibration after Oil Bypass?

Cliffee
10-13-2003, 22:16
I recently installed my Amsoil Bypass and seemed to have started feeling a little roughness in the engine when coasting from a stop and when coming to a stop. Everything is well isolated other than the oil lines themselves. I left a little slack in the lines as suggested. Could vibes from the oil pump or engine be coming through the oil lines into the frame? Anyone experience this?

Kent Tuttle
10-14-2003, 05:35
I only had trouble with noise and vibration when the filters mounted to the body under my feet. Filters are now on the frame and all is well.

Russ Denman
10-14-2003, 08:35
I experienced a slight vibration (more like a buzz) at idle after I installed the AMSOIL bypass unit. I initially had the unit mounted to the frame 4 feet back of the engine with the hoses laying on the top of the ABS unit. I have since moved it to within 12 inches of the engine thinking the length of hose and touching other components was transmitting the vibration. The unit is currently mounted to the frame with the hoses not touching anything and I still get the same vibration. I have not tried putting on the OEM filter so I can't say for certain the AMSOIL unit is causing the vibration. I have had the unit on for 18K and the oil analysis looks good except for high copper. The silicon level is very low.

[ 10-14-2003, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: Russ Denman ]

Cliffee
10-14-2003, 21:24
Any idea why the copper is high? Iam going to put on a stock filter just as a test cause its kind of aggravating. If its the bypass I can live with it, if its the truck I can't. I was told by Amsoil that its probably vibration from the oil pump. They suggested dampening the hose lines.

Russ Denman
10-15-2003, 10:08
If I remember correctly, someone suggested that the copper is from the wrist pins and the amount in the oil will decrease over time. I was told by a self proclaimed expert at the dealer that I should not perform the first oil change until 7,500 miles to avoid the oil ticking sound. I changed the oil at 6,400 and wish I had changed it earlier. Initially I went with AMSOIL HDD 5W-30 but after reading that the definition of a 40 weight is a shear strength greater than 3.7 I switched to the AMSOIL 15W-40. I did an oil analysis at 15K, 21K then 28K with the switch to 15W-40 at 21K. I am going by memory because the test results are at home but the first copper reading was about 35 and the second was 65 then I changed the oil and the 3rd was in the 30's again. I put AMSOIL airfilter in at 6800 and installed the AMSOIL bypass at 15K; my silicon levels have been very low on the last two oil tests.

I put a the plastic conduit used for wire bundles around the oil hoses to protect them from rock damage. Based on your comment, I will try a foam wrap to protect the hoses and see if that eliminates the noise.

Cliffee
10-19-2003, 11:28
I had the ticking sound after my first oil change at 4k mi. I had another change done at 7k both free from dealer I might add. At 10k I switched to Amsoil w/ Bypass. It went away around 13k and hasn't returned since.