PDA

View Full Version : 30k on stock fuel filter

fredw
10-13-2003, 18:02
just wondering how others fuel filters are lasting,it says to change around 15k, i bought a back up and keep it under the seat, but have not seen any need to replace yet, is their any signs i should be looking for, or problems that this could promote bye running this far over, am looking at putting additional filtration on

DonG
10-13-2003, 19:04
fredw,

Congratulations on getting 30,000 miles on your fuel filter. Several possibilities come to mind:

You have the cleanest diesel fuel of anyone in the US and Canada,
Or,
You filter has blown through and is allowing dirty fuel to reach your injectors,
And,
You are violating the required replacement interval set by GM, and they could claim no warranty on future injector problems.

Since I do not believe you were singled out to receive the cleanest diesel in the the entire country, I would recommend you change the fuel filter. Adding a second filter is also a great idea.

Don

a bear
10-13-2003, 19:15
Getting 30K out of that little element is just another reason to prove they aren't performing well. :eek: I would sure like to see the inside of that one.

mdrag
10-13-2003, 19:47
fredw,

If you would like to send me the 30K fuel filter to cut open and inspect, send an email to:

turbo@thedieselpage.com

Some forum members reported that they received a notice from GM indicating that proof of fuel filter change at the recommended 15K intervals would be required for warranty work on the fuel system. I have not received the notice yet.

Check out the pics of cut open filters - including a 70K OEM Racor - choose the 2nd link in my sig.

a bear
10-13-2003, 20:17
mdrag, I was hoping you would offer to cut open that filter. Man you fast! :D Guess I need to invest in one of those cutters. The dremel is not the ideal method.

fredw
10-14-2003, 02:08
fredw,

Congratulations on getting 30,000 miles on your fuel filter. Several possibilities come to mind:

You have the cleanest diesel fuel of anyone in the US and Canada,
Or,
You filter has blown through and is allowing dirty fuel to reach your injectors,
And,
You are violating the required replacement interval set by GM, and they could claim no warranty on future injector problems.

Since I do not believe you were singled out to receive the cleanest diesel in the the entire country, I would recommend you change the fuel filter. Adding a second filter is also a great idea.

Don

wow" i guess i better do something soon, all i can tell you i never had any problems, i also had two other duramaxes and put on about 30k each and never replaced those filters as well, i run only a coop cardlock#2 desiel, will look at soon, or if someone would like me to send them the filter i can also do that

fredw
10-14-2003, 07:57
called my dealer(service manager) this morning, told him i had 30k on fuel filter(good guy) said no problem, should look at changing soon before ses light comes on, i asked him about the warrenty letter for not changing filter sooner, he said no letter seen here, he then replied that our fuel in canada is cleaner, he has over 400 duramaxes out with many over 100000 miles on and he does not have many injector problems due to dirty fuel, then i asked about more filtration, he then said it is up to you, not a big thing, i asked him about changing every 15k, he said from 15 to 30k is fine, after that the ses light usually comes on

straight from the hores mouth

Lone Eagle
10-14-2003, 19:25
a bear, your dremel is better than my Saws All but they both work if careful. Later! Frank