PDA

View Full Version : Filter tightness

DMaxDave
10-11-2003, 15:49
If anyone can help, I like to do my own fuel filter change on my duramax, but with all the issues at hand want to do it right, since its my first diesel, how tight does it need to be , hand tight, or use a filter wrench? and what is the most important things I should be aware of?
Thanks David

a bear
10-11-2003, 18:18
Dave,
Welcome to the DP. 1/3 to 1/2 turn after gasket contact is the recommended amt. If you use grease or vaseline to lube the o-ring it helps to hold it in place during the install. Instructions are also written on the filter can. Good Luck !

Tommy

DMaxDave
10-12-2003, 01:27
Tommy,
Thanks that will help, I just bought a filter at the dealer, absolutly nothing written on the can, also got stuck with a $55 price, there is a lot better advertized here on diesel page. O well I live and lern, thats why I joined TDP is to learn.
Thanks David

Steamboat
10-12-2003, 02:59
Just changed my first fuel filter in the truck (at 8K miles) and it was not as easy as I would have liked but only took about an hour. Used an empty 3 liter clear plastic coke bottle with top cut out for a fuel catcher when opening the water drain. Took awhile to get the small strap filter wrench on the filter and get it off, then just rested it on the frame and took out by the wheel well flap. Getting the new one on took some doing, from the top I had to pull up hard enough to get the inner fuel seal engaged and then start rotating the filter with the same hand - not easy. I think that doing this from the bottom after modifying the wheel well liner would be much easier. Got it hand tight (easy tugging on the filter wrench didn't move it anymore), 30 strokes on the primer and no leaks. Guess I did it right? Next one should go a little quicker since I know a little more about performing this maintenance but I'd hate to have to do this on the side of the road. No water in fuel, a few small rust looking flakes in the water drain valve area, poured fuel out of filter (fuel inlet side?) and got some black flake type sediment in the coke bottle.

jbplock
10-12-2003, 03:58
Steamboat,

Here a few links regarding Fuel Filter change methods. There are several ways to do it. Methods range from installing Riv-nuts to make the fender liner easy to remove to changing from the top without removing anything but the filter. smile.gif

Filter Change on Duramax (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006341#000027)

Yet another post on changing OE fuel filter (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005612)

RivNuts (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005686#000007)

a bear
10-12-2003, 06:26
I'm not sure how much room the 04's have to change it from the top but on my 02 I go through the wheel well and it's a lot easier. I also had installed the rivet nuts after my 1st change which makes it easier again. :D

Steamboat
10-12-2003, 08:12
jbplock,

I read the links you provided and agree that the wheel liner "trap door" idea occurried to me when I was studying the problem (engineer that I am) so I may pursue that approach. Anyone else out there proceded to the actual implmentation stage of the "trap door"? I think I would do better pushing the filter up from the bottom and turning it than trying again from the top. I don't like bending the AC lines to fit the filter between them until after the warranty is over but after that it may provide an alternate route per Dmaxallitech(?). After reading the links, what is the best method to deal with spilt fuel on the frame (sorta hard not to spill a little given the water drain valve location and what is contained in the filter after draining through the valve) even though I tried to keep it all contained - again not much room to work in?

Flyboy
10-12-2003, 15:57
I haven't done it yet, but I plan on adding a spacer behind the filter head mount to give a little more clearance to get the strap wrench around the filter. What do you think of that?

a bear
10-12-2003, 16:08
Good Idea !

Lone Eagle
10-12-2003, 18:46
I haven't had to drain the filters yet. I remove the vent plug, loosen the filter, slide a one gallon Zip-Loc bag up around the filter and screw the rest of the way off by hand. I remove and install it from the top. Later! Frank ;)