PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the air box!

ChopperBill
05-05-2004, 05:28
Took mine in the the GMC truck garage for service. I generally do my own but had a coupon and felt lazy. They called me and said my air filter was dirty and if I wanted it replaced. Told them I had a few and would change it myself. Picked up the truck and went to change the filter. Took off the cover and then notice a hole about 5/8 of an inch in it on the clean air side. Then I remembered thats where the air cleaner indicator goes in. Whole thing was gone including the rubber grommet. Went back to the service center and asked them where my indicator was. Mechanic said he noticed it was missing but FOR GOT TO SAY ANYTHING! A hole on the clean air side and he forgot!. Lucky there was no sign of dust in the air box lid because I don't know how long it was missing. If I wouldn't have seen it when I changed the filter it could have been a disaster. I would like to know how in the hell it fell out in the first place.

chuntag95
05-05-2004, 09:36
Same thing happened to me. Put a piece of duct tape on it for a week till a new one came in. I now pop the hood and check everytime they have it. Oh, you can also get one at Dodge as they 04s have the same one as well.

Viking
05-05-2004, 16:51
Mine has also "fallen out". I noticed this after I had made a visit to the dealer (in fairness several months after). I put tape over the hole and that is the way it will be when I eventually sell it. If they "fall out" so easily then I do not really want to keep checking to see if it is still there. Not knowing for how long it was missing, I took an oil sample and sent it for a check and silicon came back at 7. Silicon was 6 on prior check. Maybe something else is happening here........

ChopperBill
05-06-2004, 00:45
They put mine in for "free", or I would have duct taped it. I checked it out and cant see how they can just fall out. The worst part is the "tech" forgetting to mention the missing indicator.

Jomar
05-07-2004, 18:15
I had the same problem one time and I felt sure I bumped it when I changed the fuel filter. It is`nt hard to knock it out of the hole if you put a little pressure on it. I got some good black silicone sealer and glued it in. It`s now pretty firm and certainly won`t come out very easily.

Jomar

jbplock
05-08-2004, 04:19
Originally posted by Jomar:
...I got some good black silicone sealer and glued it in. It`s now pretty firm and certainly won`t come out very easily...Jomar Jomar,

Excellent idea! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif I was thinking the same thing. After reading this thread I checked mine and it was tight but I didn’t like the way it sealed to the plastic filter housing. I put some Parker Super O lube on the rubber gasket but it still seems like it could leak. I’m going to follow your lead and seal it with some permatex silicone. I’m also wondering if this might explain why I haven’t been able to get UOA Si levels into the single digits. My last UOA at 14kmiles had Si at 12ppm … maybe OK for 14kmiles on an engine still breaking in, but I hope to see it lower.

I had a similar problem on my 98 6.5TD with a leaking resonator tube connection on the intake. The OE design was such that the tube just pushed into a rubber hose with out a clamp. There was a TDP UOA article that pointed out the potential for leaks at this connection. I did an AVLube UOA and found 49ppm Si levels. Per the article I added a clamp to this connection and the next UOA showed single digit Si levels.

smile.gif

Jomar
05-08-2004, 19:37
One of these days I`m going to have my oil checked for Si levels, just haven`t got around to it yet. I did check the air intake tube, to the turbo, with a clean paper towel and couldn`t find a speck of dirt. My Uni air filter has 11k miles on it and appears to be working great.

Jomar

Cliffee
05-17-2004, 22:46
Makes me wonder if they fall out so easily how much dirt is possibly leaking through? If you clean your filter at regular intervals like I do why not remove and seal the hole permanently?

jbplock
05-18-2004, 03:29
I sealed mine with some RTV like Jomar did