PDA

View Full Version : When is too much?

HDMXDiesel0817
05-04-2004, 09:12
Aight ya'll,

I'm going to be running my quad at the high level after I get the tranny upgraded and some gauges installed in June, and I am curious when on the EGT gauge should I start to worry? At what point will I start to 'hurt' the engine? I haven't seen a pyrometer in a truck for a while and from what I can recall it was in the 14-1700 range (on a Classic XL) maybe higher. Since our engines are somewhat smaller than what I am usually driving; at what point do you guys think (or possibly know) EGTs come into play on damaging the dmax? What would be considered an optimal egt? 12s 13s? I'm sure that the EGT gauge has a red area on it or something that would at least indicate that you have pushed too much and back er down a bit. I would just like to know what you guys think about this matter.

Note: Yes I have read some of the threads on EGTs and the search definitely kicks up a lot of em, so sifting through them will take time. In the meantime though, if you wouldn't mind entertaining this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Another note: I have only run the 70hp tune once, very nice, chirped the tires on the slightest pressure to the fuel, and decided I better take er back to stock, I know....wuss.

Much obliged,

Jon smile.gif :D

WillowCreekStable
05-04-2004, 12:56
Pre turbo, 1,300 is max for me.

Others go way beyond that for short bursts and live to tell about it.

motovet
05-04-2004, 14:39
I have heard of some insane numbers by some. I was seeing 14-1450* all the way up the hill during my run at the last Rendezvous/Pull off. I ran the mile on the 90 setting with the Juice. I know JK was much hotter than that during his run.

310-MAN
05-05-2004, 04:14
The only published numbers I have seen on "EGT" limits for Garret turbos were in aviation manuals & they gave a limit of 1650. This limit was set so as not to exceed the RPM limit of the turbo. John

Kennedy
05-05-2004, 05:31
My SPA seems to max out at 178*