PDA

View Full Version : EGT AND BOOST GAGE INSTALL

OMBS
10-10-2003, 09:50
HELLO EVERYONE,NEW MEMBER HERE TRY TO BEAR WITH ME.I TRIED THE SEARCH BUT COULD NOT FIND THE INFO I NEEDED.I HAVE A NEW 03'GMC SIERRA SLT D/A THAT HAS 3200 MILES,I HAVE ADDED A BULLYDOG 70/110 DOMINATOR,ATS STAINLESS EXHAUST AND AFE AIR INTAKE.I PURCHASED A AUTOMETER EGT AND BOOST GAGE PACKAGE AND I HAVE A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT WILL SEEM ELEMENTRY TO MOST OF YOU BUT THIS IS MY 1ST DIESEL HOP UP.I TRADED MY 02 CHEVY 8.1 AND I'M BEGINING TO THINK I MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE.I NEED TO KNOW THE BEST SOURCE IN THE CAB TO GET POWER FOR THE NEW GAGE LAMPS SO THEY WILL DIM WITH THE I/P LAMPS.NEXT I NEED TO KNOW IF THE HOSE COMING OFF THE WASTEGATE ACTUATOR CAN BE SPLICED WITH A VACUME TEE OR DO I NEED TO USE THE BRASS FITTING THAT CAME WITH THE KIT AND DO I HAVE TO DRILL AND TAP.THE INSTRUCTIONS WERE NOT SPECIFIC TO EACH AND EVERY APPLICATION.I THINK I'M OK ON THE EGT PROBE AS LONG AS ITS OK TO PUT IT IN THE FIRST 2 INCHES OF THE NEW ATS DOWNPIPE.LIKE I SAID GIVE ME SOME TIME I WILL STUDY UP ON THE PROPER ETIQUETE ,I'M TRYING TO DO THE INSTALL THIS WEEKEND.THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE.

andrewfessler
10-10-2003, 12:03
Check out the thread at following link.

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001470

mdrag
10-10-2003, 12:46
OMBS,

Welcome to the TDP forums. I 'T'ed into the wastegate hose when I installed my SPA DG-111 over 2 years ago.`The boost reading thus obtained may be a few psi higher than using a post intercooler location, but it doesn't really seen to matter.

See More Power's Pyrometer Installation article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/drillman.htm) for installation help on a pre-turbo install. A post turbo install in your ATS exhaust is another option. Post turbo EGT readings will be lower by a few hundred degrees when compared to a pre-turbo manifold probe location.

OMBS
10-10-2003, 13:23
THANKS A TON FOR THE INFO GUYS,YOU'VE SAVED ME A LOT OF TIME.

mdrag
10-10-2003, 15:15
OMBS,

LIKE I SAID GIVE ME SOME TIME I WILL STUDY UP ON THE PROPER ETIQUETE ,I'M TRYING TO DO THE INSTALL THIS WEEKEND.THANKS FOR ANY ADVISE.

FYI, relative to the etiquette thing, many consider typing in ALL CAPS as YELLING :mad:

Not a punishable offense by any means... tongue.gif ;)

mdrag

ibelyea
10-10-2003, 15:30
Make sure if you tap into the wastegate line that you should use brass. The hose from the waste gate is larger than the boost hose. I made a tee using one smaller barbed fitting and 2 larger ones for the waste gate hose. Used a 1/4 inch brass fitting with 3 holes 90 degrees apart. Got the whole assembly from Home Depot but a auto parts place could be better. I had to do this from scratch because the plastic tee melted.