PDA

View Full Version : loss of power

Keith Richards
03-17-2004, 20:36
This afternoon,after driving the truck all morning,I turned the key and waited too long to fire up.It started real rough,and then ran like crap for a couple of miles with the "service engine soon" light on.This is a normally very strong running, stock 6.5.I was low on fuel so drove it to my local station and filled up.She slowly started to run better next couple of miles ,and when I started it up later "service engine" light was off and seems to be running fine.I'm baffled and a little worried cause I plan to take it on a long weekend towing a travel trailer next week.Has anybody else experienced this? I'm hoping I can blame it on low fuel but I had a good 1/8 of a tank in it.

rjschoolcraft
03-17-2004, 21:23
Check for water in the fuel filter bowl. Open the valve by the thermostat and see if any water comes out. Also, replace the fuel filter. It is likely that you sucked up some water or trash into the fuel system. Also, dump a bottle of Stanadyne Performance Formula into the tank.

eracers999
03-17-2004, 22:10
At a 1/8th of a tank you are asking for big trouble.
There is a sock at the bottom of the stand pipe, if that sock even remotly curls it will suck air at the highest point witch could easily be above the 1/8th mark.
Ive had this happen, when suddenly i could never be below 1/4th of a tank.
Hope this helps.
Kent

Keith Richards
03-18-2004, 18:50
Thanks guy's.I'm hoping it isn't too serious.Truck seems fine.I fill up at a busy diesel spot where lots of big rigs fill and trust the fuel.I changed the filter not 2 months ago,but I'll check that too.I was unusually pushing it yesterday.I usually dont go below a 1/4 tank either.My truck couldn't get out of it's own way for about 3 minutes till I got fuel.Wont let that happen again.