PDA

View Full Version : Drilling the Exh. manifold Part II

Heartbeat Hauler
10-07-2003, 08:02
Ok, I have read the article on manifold drilling and pyrometer install, posted by More Power. My question is, when installing the brass base fitting, is it neccessary to use an anti-sieze or locking product on the threads?
JP

Idle_Chatter
10-07-2003, 08:20
It's probably not mandatory, as the brass fitting screwed into cast iron will be "self-lubricating." I used a dab of copper-based high-temperature never-seez (Permatex)on mine.

More Power
10-07-2003, 08:28
Using an anti-sieze is optional. The only reason I can see for ever needing to remove the brass base fitting is to install a plug - like when selling the truck and keeping the gauges.

Otherwise, replacement Isspro senders can be installed by loosening the ferrule nut.

Exhaust manifold pyrometer installation:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/drillman.htm

MP

[ 10-07-2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]

Heartbeat Hauler
10-07-2003, 09:21
Thanks guys. I was a little nervous about this whole thing, but feel I can now attempt this install without worrying 15 or 20 years off my life. :D
JP

D-Maxtim
10-08-2003, 07:29
No sweat Heartbeat Hauler I have done both my 01 and 03 and all will go
as stated. If you need any Moral Support I'm in town.

maxinDixon
10-08-2003, 12:19
Just drilled it myself and took about a hour from start to finish including trying to find my T handle for the tap. Piece of cake!

Heartbeat Hauler
10-09-2003, 09:30
Cool!
DMAXTIM nice to know another DMAXer around town. What color is that rig of yours and I'll keep a look out. BTW, I bought a red 94 crew cab from a guy and I think his name was Tim....is that you?
JP

D-Maxtim
10-09-2003, 09:48
My truck is Dark Grey Metalic. I am a Westsider and work (scratch that)
am employed at MJ as a Water Technician. If ya need to you can contact
me @ timw4809@yahoo.com Hope to see ya.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-09-2003, 10:23
DmaxTim,
I'll be on the lookout. I'm drivin a white 3500 ext cab with black fiberglass runnin boards & no talegate.
Later,
JP

NETMINDER
10-10-2003, 08:03
Heartbeat Hauler,
Did everything work out for you? I too have the same apprehensions you did. Doing mine tommorrow ....

Sneaks
10-10-2003, 08:21
Netminder I did mine two days ago and reading the procedure plus seeing the photos got all my butterflies in formation beforehand.

Couple of buttonholes pinched in my skivvies when my cobalt drill hit a hard spot and it spun in the drill, but other than that all went well.

Of course Murphy did hit but from an unexpected quarter. After I installed the Attitude probe I called to get an RMA to return my Juice for Attitude upgrade and found out the Attitude I have isn't compatible with an upgraded Juice, only with the newer built-from-scratch versions.

Did learn Edge has that glitch covered and once the upgrade program gets off the ground I'll be sending both the Attitude and the Juice back for upgrade.

So if a geezer like me can do it, you needn't worry. The problem is this geezer doesn't even buy green bananas anymore and all this waiting is tough

NETMINDER
10-10-2003, 09:44
I'll let you juys know on Monday. Just checked with UPS and it's sitting on my doorstep as we speak ...

Inspector
10-10-2003, 13:52
All is installed. I drilled a port into the left side manifold and installed the probe for the Attitude. The right side is home for the SPA gauge. I will be towing the fiver to SoCal next week so can't wait to see how it performs.
I will be letting yall know when I get back.

I would like to know what those who have a Spa gauge installed get for idle EGTs. Have posted many times but nobody wants to say. Come on guys.
Denny

gene smith
10-10-2003, 14:21
All you guys that drilled on the pasenger side, is there a reason for that side. Is it easer to get to or what Thanks
Geno

steve700edgex
10-13-2003, 15:51
yes more room and it took longer for me to get the wheel well loose enough to drill than it actually did to drill it

tcelano1
10-18-2003, 15:32
Hi everyone, I've been reading these posts for about as long as I've had my truck, a little over a year, and appreciate all the good information I have gotten here.

As far as pyrometer probe install, the following is a link to a picture of my install. I can't imagine I'm the only guy to use the spot I did, but I drilled the thick part of the exhaust manifold flange, allowing full thread engagement of the Autometer insert. By my calculations, it places the tip of the Autometer probe just about in the center of the exhaust stream. Just my .02 for anyone who is interested. There are some other pictures of things I've done there if you are interested as well.

http://ltcelano.home.mindspring.com/Truck.htm

mdrag
10-18-2003, 17:29
tcelano1,

What is the light blue device mounted on the DS - where the AUX alt would reside if present? Air compressor? Hydraulic pump?

Lone Eagle (and a few others) mounted a supplemental fuel filter there, and a bear mounted a coolant filter using that location.

tcelano1
10-18-2003, 19:46
mdrag,

That is indeed an air compressor. I have a 7 gallon tank that I mounted up on the inside of the frame rail. The compressor is a York A/C pump out of a junked '84 Mercedes, and I fabbed up the bracket and everything myself. The most expensive part of it was the serpentine clutch/pulley (about $110 from www.onboardair.com) (http://www.onboardair.com)) It will actually put out more air than my household compressor even at min idle, and I have the high-idle mod installed... Works great for air tools, charging mountain bike shocks, etc. I run it right about 150 psi.

mdrag
10-19-2003, 00:23
tcelano1,

Very nice! There is a post in the 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum by SparkyTx (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=005455) asking about onboard air.

mdrag

jbplock
10-19-2003, 02:48
Nice job on your Gauge mount too! http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
Also, what is the blue bar under the truck? Weight distributing hitch?

BadDog
10-19-2003, 03:59
It's an anti-wrap bar.

tcelano1
10-19-2003, 05:21
BadDog is exactly right. They are traction, or anit-wrap bars. I built mine from scratch, but there are many kits available, most requiring a suspension lift to keep your ground clearance. Mine required welding, but do no reduce clearance at all. I used a Magnumforce Hiem joint at the axle end and an Energy Suspension Polyurethane bushing at the forward end. They really make a difference, allowing you to break the tires loose smoothly, preventing that nasty surging at low speeds (I have ZF6spd manual), and believe it or not, reduce the nose dive under braking. Using the mounting positions I did, I get no contact or binding.