PDA

View Full Version : Maybe getting new lly,But...

DURA-MAX3
04-26-2004, 08:59
Could someone explain how the new egr works and if it is on all the time...Someone told me that it only works at certain rpm's...Was also wondering about the cat conveter, can it be removed without any problems...Thanks in advance...

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2004, 11:44
The EGR is only open at zero boost (idle, low power). Couldn't work any other way.

Cat? What's a cat?
If there are now wires, plumbing or sensors hooked to it, the computer won't miss it. The 03's (CA models) were not sensored. Not sure about the 04's.

Did you have a specific concern?

DURA-MAX3
04-26-2004, 12:26
Why could it not work any other way,,,is there a reason that it only works at low power...Seems like if that is all it does it would'nt help much...Thanks...

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2004, 12:35
The exhaust gasses open to intake post turbo, all inside the head. Any open circuit between the intake and exhaust under boost would just force the boost air into the exhaust, bleeding off valuable boost pressure. The purpose of the EGR, among other things, is to reduce the oxygen level in the intake air at idle. This would prove counter-productive if power was needed. The EGR is also cooled with its own coolant passages.

DURA-MAX3
04-26-2004, 13:13
Thanks for the reply, that does make sense...So i guess the erg is not all that bad after all...I thought it worked all the time...

DMAX4LIFE
04-29-2004, 08:07
about the cat, I just posted this in another post but a good customer/friend of mine just put kennedy's 4" exhaust on his LLY which removes the cat and there are no problems. It smoes a little more but that's alright, it's a diesel isn't it.