PDA

View Full Version : GMS Pricing Help!

USA-1
04-26-2004, 00:49
MSRP $43643
INV $38157
GMS 36948
SUPPLR $38610
Is this right?The dealer said GMS is 15% off MSRP.

sequoia
04-26-2004, 02:33
You need to go see Dave Kehl, 1-800-886-1000. Straight shooter good guy to buy from...Only dealer I would buy from. Sequoia

Aluminator
04-26-2004, 05:06
I don't think your dealer would screw around with a price set by GM!

Sticker $47,523
GMS $40,242

savings $7,281 on my 04 GMC. But I also got the $2,500 cash back, another $750, and $1,000 from a UAW retirement coupon, and the $1,000 power package discount. Now when you take $12,531 off the sticker that is a good deal. Now if I had a truck that ran would be even better. Should fine out today when they are going to replace it!

You could save $6,695 but your truck stickers for $4,000 less. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Dennis

Russ Denman
04-26-2004, 15:51
I haven't shopped for since I bought my 2002 and things may have changed. Back then I could get the GMS and GMO from the GM Family web site. GMS was about 15% back then and GMO was slightly better.

GMS is not calculated by the dealer, it is printed on the invoice. Ask the dealer to show you the invoice.

OC_DMAX
04-26-2004, 16:50
Agree with Russ above. The 15% looks about right. The GMS price is printed out on the invoice the dealer has for the vehicle. They cannot mess with this price. If you have access to the www.gmfamilyfirst.com (http://www.gmfamilyfirst.com) website you can get all the info there.

The employee discount plan has changed some during the last five years. The employee discount benefits have been reduced a little bit at a time. You used to be able to get 18% off of an order for full size trucks. Of course this was before they started doing $4,000 rebates.

txguppy
04-27-2004, 09:49
Hey USA, pardon my ignorance, but what is GMS, GMO? I need to know PDQ, ASAP...

TTFN,

txguppy

Russ Denman
04-27-2004, 22:13
We are talking about vehicle pricing for GM Employees. GMS is the out-of-stock price, walk into a dealer, give them your GM employee certificate and get the GMS price. GMO is the price the employee pays when they order the vehicle through the dealer and wait for it to be built and delivered. Ford and Chrysler have similar programs.

JB6600
04-28-2004, 03:54
From what I have heard,they discontinued the GMO and only use the GMS pricing for us GM employees now.This encourages the employees to buy out of stock.................JB.

BadDog
04-28-2004, 21:48
I was also told that the dealer does not have to give all discounts on a GMS. Luckily, I bought mine through the "family salesman" where my family has bought numerous vehicles, and he gave me a whole stack of discounts I didn't even know about.

04-29-2004, 08:31
Those prices sound about right.
When I bought my new LLY 3 months ago, I saved $10,200 off of the sticker price with GMS, and incentives. Right now the new incentives are even better if you are a GM or Contract employee(for GM). If I would of waited 2 mounths I could have gotten another $1000.00 off.

JB6600
04-29-2004, 10:44
Dealer is not required to sell a vehicle at GM employee price.You will only find that on new models or hot selling cars and trucks(SSR's)...........JB. tongue.gif

Bill Knieper
04-29-2004, 10:50
There is no more GMO, but you can order a truck to get exactly what you want, and then you pay the GMS price when it comes in. The discount is not a percentage. It will mormally run a little under 15% on the base truck and over 15% on options. So it usually averages around 15% on the total depending on what options you have. The GMO price will be on the invoice and you will need the employee discount certificate number to get it.

Bill Knieper
04-29-2004, 10:55
Sorry, on the post above,I should have said GMS will be on the invoice. Dealers do not have to participate in the GMS employee program, but most will.

jbplock
04-29-2004, 11:42
There is also a GM Supplier price for employees of companaies that do buisness with GM.
( https://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com ) It usually works out to 12% off MSRP. In my area dealers are offereing this price to anyone (no need to use the GM Supplier form). I recently bought a new Impala and got the GM Supplier price, plus $3750 worth of incentivies and I was able to apply my GM card points ($2k). Normally you can't combine the GM card points with the GM discounts. smile.gif

OC_DMAX
04-29-2004, 18:03
Normally you can't combine the GM card points with the GM discounts.

They closed the option a little over a year ago (for the regular GM card - 5%)! Oh well, was nice while it lasted (saved me about $8K over the years).

They now have a different GM card for employee discounts that has a much smaller dollar build-up (not 5%).

I think they have lowered these types of awards plus the employee discount due to the large general rebates they are offering. Cannot continue to give 18% employee discount, $3K GM card rebate plus $4K general rebate (as an example).

Bill Knieper
04-29-2004, 18:44
With out warning GM said we can no longer use our GM credit card points with our GMS price. This is a bum deal, they should of given us 24 months to use our points after it was phased out. Now I have $1,800 dollars worth of credit card points that I will never be able to use because the GMS discount will always be better. I have cut up my credit card.

Aluminator
04-29-2004, 19:11
GM still offers the use of their credit card and the GMS pricing. Yes it did change some but you can still save thousands of $$$$$. I think you now get 1% but without the $500 per year limit. You can also use the points for other things than new vehicles. They gave everybody a set amount of time to switch or loose your points.

Dennis

jbplock
04-30-2004, 02:01
Originally posted by Bill Knieper:
With out warning GM said we can no longer use our GM credit card points with our GMS price. This is a bum deal, they should of given us 24 months to use our points after it was phased out. Now I have $1,800 dollars worth of credit card points that I will never be able to use because the GMS discount will always be better. I have cut up my credit card. Bill,

When I bought my 03 truck in Oct 02 I was expecting to use my GM card points plus GMS... But, like you said GM had just changed the policy so I wasn't able to use my points toward the truck. However, around here, dealers will often give the GMS price to anyone off the street so I lucked out and was able to get both (GMS & GM card points) on my 04 Impala. You may want to keep those points... maybe you will still get a chance to use them. smile.gif

OC_DMAX
04-30-2004, 04:37
With out warning GM said we can no longer use our GM credit card points with our GMS price

Actually, I was sent several letters over an 8 month period advising they were phasing out the program. Kept trying to transfer me to the new program. Even today, they are still trying to transfer me to the new program. Unfortunately, they did not offer to transfer the current cash balance straight across. They wanted to re-figure it at the 1% rate. So I declined. I have kept the original GM MasterCard and continue to max the $500 every year (was nice when it was $1000). I have access to both the Employee Discount and Supplier Discount programs. Like Bill indicates above, you can get pretty close to the GMS pricing and still have up to $3500 MasterCard rebate and if you time it correctly get an additional manufacture rebate ($2K - $4K).

Personally, I think GM has made a huge marketing mistake with all these rebates. People are now conditioned to expect them (most likely why their vehicle prices are so high, they have them figured into the price somewhat). My opinion,,, a better route would have been low MSRP and forget all the rebate BS. This whole vehicle pricing scheme is starting to remind me of twenty different "per minute" plans the Cell phone companies offer. But hey, all these plans keep a whole bunch of MBA types employed so what the heck.

dieselrealtor
04-30-2004, 18:31
I have purchased 2 new trucks since 2000, the instructions I had before the first one were "ask the dealer if they participate in the program, if so then ask them for the invoices on the ones you are interested in".

This worked exceptionally well, no pitch, no upselling, (I also told them that I was not paying for the "fabric gaurd" etc, no problem).
Good luck.

shelbytt
05-26-2004, 16:54
Im a GM employee and have the ability to look up any TRuck online and get the GMS. If you can get me the Vin or Dealer Loc I can get you what you need.