PDA

View Full Version : LLY noise

USA-1
04-25-2004, 23:07
I just picked up my new 04 Xcab 3500 with the LLY DURAMAX saturday. This is my third DMAX,I had a 02 LB7 and a 03 LB7.I put 160 miles on it this weekend,I didn`t want to park it.My hearing is not very good but, I hear a whistling sound that I never hear on my previous DMAXS, is it the turbo?Also I have the Bose stereo ,I can hear words to songs that I have been listening to for the last 25 years that I`ve never heard before.Is this a miracle? has my hearing been healed?

mark45678
04-26-2004, 16:02
the lly has a varible turbo.... meaning the exhaust houseing is a fixed size! this will make more boost at lower throttle setting! I have notice the same thing with my lly, the old lb7 was all moded and it never made this wineing noise! its not really noticeable but its there....

DMAX4LIFE
04-29-2004, 08:05
yeah you can definitely hear the turbo alot more on the lly than the lb7. A customer of mine just got his kennedy 4" exhaust on his lly and you can really hear it now. Tt also smokes more now but he LOVES it.

Jon Wolfe
04-30-2004, 11:50
The whistle sounds a little like a big rig to me. It seems I hear it when I let of the accelerator, and then depress it again slightly.

Wolfe

More Power
05-11-2004, 15:43
I had heard that the variable nozzle is used to help hasten engine warmup, by moving the vanes to the max boost or highest exhaust restriction position. This should only appear at lower rev ranges, and may explain why some people are reporting somewhat different turbo sounds than they experienced with the LB7.

MP

TanM998
05-12-2004, 03:45
check your inlet pipes to the turbo and to / from the intercooler... they may not have been installed properly from the factory. Just be sure that they are properly seated...

Scott
'85 Tan M998