PDA

View Full Version : New Member, Same problems.

Whiteknight
10-06-2003, 17:32
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and to owning a diesel truck but I have been using the search function and following all the posts for the past three months.

I recently bought a 2001 Silverado LT D/A and it now has 149000 kilometers or 92529 miles. I have noticed over the past month that my coolant light was coming on every 2 weeks or so, and I would top it up about 1 inch of coolant. This past weekend there was a substantial amount of coolant on the ground from the drivers side front, right under the power steering pump, so I took it in to the dealer and they have informed me that the water pump is bad and that both thermostats are also leaking. Does this sound legit? I can believe the water pump, but it seems strange that both thermostats would also be leaking.

I appreciate any advice that I get on this since I am so new to the whole diesel thing.

dmaxalliTech
10-06-2003, 18:53
I buy the water pump story for sure.. but the t-stats would require some investigation.. pop the hood and check it out, they are mounted right in the middle on top of the engine. I find it unlikly but possible that they are leaking. The good news is that your only gonna have to pay the deductable to get it fixed, assuming Canada has the same warr we do in the states
Eric

Whiteknight
10-06-2003, 19:57
dmaxalliTech,

Thanks for the response. I actually haven't seen the truck since it was diagnosed so I have no way of verifying the thermostat problem. The good news is actually the bad news, no warranty left and about $1000.00 + tax is the estimate so far. They say it's a 5 hour job for the waterpump.

Viking
10-07-2003, 03:10
WhiteKnight,IF the truck has 149,000 km then you have 11,000km of the $100 deductible warranty left. The Canadian warranty goes to 160,000km.(100,000 miles) You will have to find an honest dealer.

letsgo
10-07-2003, 04:40
I dont think you will find that the water pump is considered as a warranty item at this milage, as it is external to the diesel engine which is covered for the 160,000 Km, unless you have the extended warranty.

good luck.

Idle_Chatter
10-07-2003, 05:18
I don't know about "the water pump is external to the diesel engine..." letsgo. The DMAX water pump is *INTERNAL* to the diesel engine and crankshaft driven versus belt driven. :D

LanceW
10-07-2003, 05:36
If your t-stats and your water pump are all leaking, it is NOT a coincidence- something is causing an overpressure in the system, much like blow-by will cause multiple oil leaks. Definitely get this documented, even if the pump isn't covered, it could be a sign of a major problem that is...

Panic first, ask questions later! :eek:

RocketsDmax
10-07-2003, 22:30
I have see the t-stat housings leak where they seal to both t-stats(No big deal,1% of the job in this case), and also some water pumps both at lower mileage than you have, I even think there was a bulletin on the t-stat housing leak, Will check and let you know. Change your coolant often boys at least once a year! Later.RR

Whiteknight
10-09-2003, 13:43
Well, I just got my truck back, the dealer had it from Monday afternoon until Thursday afternoon. They replaced the water pump and both themostats. I was charged $1114.69 including tax and the job was billed at 5.3 hours.

So far all is well, and I will be taking it on a 1000 KM trip this weekend which no doubt will show if it's truly fixed.