PDA

View Full Version : juice level?

steve700edgex
10-06-2003, 14:45
for every day driving what level do you run? what exhaust temps are to high and for how long can you run higher temps(ie towing)

Trippin
10-06-2003, 18:47
I've always run level 2 in reg mode and level 5 in tow/haul mode for everyday driving. That way when the need arises to play just click over to tow/haul mode and go! That was with the hot box. Now with the Attitude it seems like I need to have it level 3 for the same "feel" as level two before. Could just be me. Torque is addictive and you constantly need more to satisfy your craving.

JEBar
10-07-2003, 02:48
Run my Hot Juice (most of the time) in level 1 in both regular and tow/haul ... have no serious interest in lightening take-offs ... really like the way my Allison responed to the Hot Juice in level 1 and find little, if any, EGT differences ... Jim

Sneaks
10-07-2003, 07:22
Regular Juice: I run in level 2 around town and level 1 towing. Will continue that way until I can see my EGT's after the Attitude Enhancement Juice upgrade. Likely I'll continue that way since it's enough to give stock PSD drivers heartburn yet keep me out of trouble with the CHP AND my maintenance reserve account at the bank.

I agree with the earlier poster - torque is addicting!

matt-max
10-07-2003, 16:17
i run hot juice in level 3 normal shift and level 4 tow/haul.

even towing egts have not been a factor with a peak under 1000 degrees towing 7' tall, 7' wide, 12' long enclosed trailer with #2000 of race bikes and gear plus 3 people and their stuff. total gross weight wasn't much, maybe 12k max.

running in higher levels most of the time is tricky in town because the throttle becomes extremely sensitive and little bumps or dips that move me around in my seat at low speeds cause my foot to move on the pedal, which causes the truck to lurch and the foot to move more which causes the truck to lurch more which causes the foot to move more which causes the truck to lurch more.................

its not bad at all with a trailer, but empty and if unfamiliar with driving the truck it is. if juice was easier to change levels, i wouldn't run in these levels all the time. maybe someday...

matt

steve700edgex
10-08-2003, 12:28
matt are you sure youve got an accurate gauge, just accelerating empty i can get to 1200 easily

David Proske
10-08-2003, 14:47
"torque is addicting." Yes Sir!! This is the first truck I have owned that my rear tires are worn more than the front. I don't do burn outs either. I guess I have scrubbed them off and not even realized it. lol.

RVGuy
10-09-2003, 07:28
When I first got the Hot Juice, I enjoyed running in different levels looking for one that I liked best. They all had their good and bad characteristics. Its a personal thing, but I settled in at level two on the Hot Juice for normal driving.

For towing, I also go with level two, although level two has been known to occasionally set SES codes on my truck.

Towing is when I will get my highest temps. Usually around here locally I never see over 1100 degrees.

On level 4, normal shift, with foot to the floor, I never see above 1100 unless I make several hot runs in a row. :eek:

matt-max
10-09-2003, 14:39
steve700edgex

i am just assuming my gauge is correct because it is the way too expensive way too fancy for its own good spa digital that i got from JK.

it is accurate without engine on at least. MAV drove my truck recently when he stopped by to visit and wondered if it was accurate too.

he had recently been in JK's truck and seen way higher egt's with the gauge responding way faster than mine but wasn't sure what 'stack o' the day' he was running.

still it levels off and does not continue to rise dramatically wile on the gas.

i will be towing my bobcat for the first time (with this truck and egt gauge) tomorrow and will see what it says. should be about a 18k-ish gross load.

any ideas how to check the gauge? how do i test it?

matt

maxinDixon
10-09-2003, 16:57
For towing I use level 2 (juice/attitude) and level 3 for cruising. Level 5 is there at the touch of a button should the need arise.

Idle_Chatter
10-10-2003, 04:25
Man, I could have sworn that I posted to this thread already - must be slipping. There's three things that go when you get older - first one's memory and I can't recall what the other two are! :D Anyhoo, I drive my regular Juice in level 4 day-to-day, level 3 when towing my empty 6x6x12 box trailer and level 2 when pulling the trailer loaded. I keep tow/haul at level 2 but only use it in stop and go traffic with a loaded trailer and for grade braking with the loaded trailer (my little 6x12 trailer has no brakes). I've been running some pretty heavy loads from Maryland to Ohio lately while moving, and level 2 has been pulling hills in overdrive at 65 with egts 900 to 1000 degrees. Matt-Max, I know what you're saying about the throttle being a little too sensitive in the high settings. I actually drove my truck for over a week in level 2 when I forgot to reset after unhitching a load late on a Sunday night. It was fine. I like the "pep" of level 4, but I could be very happy staying at level 3 or even 2. The Juice basic programming which improves shifting and adds missing low end and midrange power is great even at levels 2 and 3! smile.gif

NETMINDER
10-10-2003, 09:42
How many levels are the with the new juice and what are the hp/tq numbers at thier resoective levels???

matt-max
10-12-2003, 17:08
definitely hear you idle chatter on the settings 2 and 3 even on regular juice

i just figure since i cant change settings easily one of these days ill need max power to shut down that pesky turbo pinto in the other lane...

max egt towing bobcat this weekend was about 900 degrees with foot in it up hill in level 4 hot juice. was climbing fairly quickly.

since i heard it takes 30 seconds or more at over peak temp to be an issue i assume i dont have anything to worry about?!?!

any way to test this probe?

matt

Idle_Chatter
10-13-2003, 02:00
I don't know what kind of hill you were pulling Matt-Max, but only 900 degrees in level 4 seems low. My egts (isspro gauges) will shoot right up to 1100 to 1300 in level 4 with a lot less load than a bobcat. What kind of boost were you seeing? I don't know of any way to easily test a pyro, but you may want to invest in a "spare" and swap out the probe. The racing and truck pull folks are running 1400 to 1600 degrees for competition, so I assume that is "safe" for a short burst.

Inspector
10-13-2003, 21:14
You gotta get that probe tip centered in the manifold tube to get the best reading. Once you tighten the B nut on the ferrel it will be hard to readjust the probe. I spent alot of time centering the probes in my set up. I have a Spa probe in the pass side and the Attitude in the drivers side. I find that the Attitude probe responds alot faster that the Spa. The reading are within 50 degrees and somtimes as close as 10 degrees. If the probe is in to far the reading will be higher and ofcourse to shallow to low.
Denny

schnier
10-14-2003, 09:37
900 degrees EGT in level 4 is not correct. I can hit 1200 degrees stock in my Dmax, solo with Isspro manual EGT gauge. The probe is in the center of the exhaust manifold. With the Predator in 40hp mode towing on some hills I can hit 1300 degrees floored up hills. Normally runs around 600-800 degrees cruising with normal highways.

Oongawah
10-14-2003, 20:53
Matt-Max,

Is your probe positioned post turbo?