Thread: aftermarket wheels=broken lug bolts

ok all you guys in the know, ive got a problem with the front passenger lug bolts busting off.
    took to dealer and now they want to charge me 150 for two bolt replacements. this is the second time this has happened the first was last august when i was rotating the tires the bolts just twisted off very easily. this time they broke while driving. dealer last summer replaced them no questions, now the dealer i bought truck from says they wont cover it because of aftermarket wheels. now for the size of them bots its hard to believe its because of wheels any opinions on why they are busting off

[ 03-04-2004, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: steve700edgex ]
    2003 white silverado LT C/C D/A<br />285/75/16 duelers on AR breakers<br />stainless locker rails,chrome plated stainless step bars access cover

You dont say what kind of wheel your running, but its quite possible that its a lug centric wheel rather than a hub centric like the factory originals. Lug centric meaning the wheel mounts and centers itself on the lugs rather than the center hub. Not a good idea especially if youve got a diesel. I can invision hitting some N.Y. potholes and breaking studs with a lug centric. I was looking at weld wheels for my dually, but passed onthem because there lug centric. Im now looking at the rickson 19.5 inch wheel.
    2004 Chevy Silverado LT Crew Dually 4x4 D/A LB7 Arrival Blue. <br />J+J Millenium Running Boards<br />Putco Stainless Rear Flaps<br />Juice w/attitude (Kennedy)<br />Weathertech Window Vents<br />2004 Fisher EZV Plow<br />2002 Daewoo 1550 XL Skidsteer

read your sig and saw that your running AR breakers, checked them out and they appear to be lug centric. Not entirely sure if your factory wheels for a SRW truck are hub centric but on my DRW they are. This could be your problem, hope it helps.
    2004 Chevy Silverado LT Crew Dually 4x4 D/A LB7 Arrival Blue. <br />J+J Millenium Running Boards<br />Putco Stainless Rear Flaps<br />Juice w/attitude (Kennedy)<br />Weathertech Window Vents<br />2004 Fisher EZV Plow<br />2002 Daewoo 1550 XL Skidsteer

read your sig and saw that your running AR breakers, checked them out and they appear to be lug centric. Not entirely sure if your factory wheels for a SRW truck are hub centric but on my DRW they are. This could be your problem, hope it helps.

when mounting they center on the hub
    2003 white silverado LT C/C D/A<br />285/75/16 duelers on AR breakers<br />stainless locker rails,chrome plated stainless step bars access cover

I broke one shortly after going to after market rims too. I blamed it on not getting everything seated correctly causing some side loading on the studs. Replacement is pretty easy with normal hand tools. Remove the caliper, slide the disc off, punch out the broken stud. To install the new one, insert the stud from behind the wheel, slide several washers on the stud, install one of the original lug nut on backwards (bevel facing out) then tighten the lug nut to seat the stud. I think the studs are less than five bucks a piece at the dealer. Takes about an hour. If you've had some replaced before the caliper should come off pretty easily. If this is the first time, some muscle will be needed. I check lug torque once a month and do occasionlly find a few have loosened. Oh yea bend up a coat hanger to hang the caliper on before you take it off, it's kinda heavy.
    2002 Chevy 2500HD LS D/A CC SB 4X4 Summit White Med. Gray Leather, Stretch Tailgate Extender, Kodiak Sidewinder Retracting Steps, PowerGate tailgate lock, Line-X under rail, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, American Racing Pythons 16X8 Chrome, Michlein LTx 285 75R 16\'s, Rancho 4.5", Fumoto, Valentine 1