Thread: Detroit Diesel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Attn. DeezilDoc

DeezilDoc,

You mentioned a while back you had a 4-71 that needed rebuilding, and had an automotive bellhousing with it. Do you still have it? Do you have any other Detroits that you're willing to part with?

Looking to build myself a truck, but some of the wreckers around here don't take me seriously, and the others don't have any engines (good or bad) at all. The smaller Detroits seem to be a little scarce around here.

If your feeling up to it, send me an email.

ssapach@hotmail.com

Thanks
    2011 VW Jetta TDI, pretty well loaded without leather.
    2006 GMC Sierra D-max, 4x4, 4 door, bumper, winch, Espar heater, and the HID lights are a nice touch too.....
    1986 GMC 3500, 454 on propane, 4 speed, 4x4, crew cab dually......the welding truck
    1984 Toyota 4x4 pickup, 4.3 V6, 700R4, Toyota t-case.......transforming into 4x4 cage buggy

Quote Originally Posted by gophergunner View Post
    DeezilDoc,

You mentioned a while back you had a 4-71 that needed rebuilding, and had an automotive bellhousing with it.
    I've never heard of an automotive bellhousing for an inline 71 series engine. Seen them for inline 53 series though.

Default Automotive

Highway vehicles,Trucks AKA 18 wheelers are automotive. An easy way to identify is by model #'s the 4th deigit in the model # will tell you what application the engine was built for, this is in the General Information section of ALL the service manuals

Sorry, I misunderstood. Automotive vs marine bellhousing, both being SAE. I was thinking you meant automotive such as SM465/chevrolet bellhousing.

I just came up on a few 6v53's because of a re-power at work and I was considering dropping one in my '77 C30. I think it'd be hot. More of a novelty and not for any real hard core, serious towing more than 10k pounds. I pull a 7k pound skid steer and a 25' travel trailer occasionally. I just want something that will be a little better on fuel than my 454.

Any advice, ideas, encouragement or otherwise?

Anyone....

Thumbs up

Just do it!!
    Chevy Nova sedan 1977
    6.5 HD diesel/ 4L80e
    Gear drive timing set
    Ram air, E.P.S. stainless steel exhaust
    2.73 axle ratio/ 205-65-R15 tires
    new projeckt: Dodge W200 with Detroit 6V-92