Thread: Transfer case leak repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    Well I got my rebuild transfer case today and already being aware of why GM has gone belly up with continued lies lies lies. I immediately found the epoxy patch GM did and it was found in exact same location as the one I was replacing. I was pissed about this and so was the parts guy.
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim

If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt
    mattb5150@hotmail.com

1993 K2500 HD ext.cab 4x4 - SOLD

2003 GMC K2500HD SLT EXTRA CAB/SB DMAX/ALLI, Bilsteins, Sulastic Shackles, Pitman & Idler braces, KD Headlight Harness, CAT filtration, Lift pump w/KD harness, Denali Door handles, Yukon exterior mirrors

2003 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Stoopider FAST

1996 VW Passat TDI 48mpg - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by mattb5150 View Post
    If I order a new case half and have a shop replace it and install the part I bought from Kennedy are there any other parts to order from GM with the case, seals etc. that are necessary to do the job correctly?

Matt

Yes you will need a retention clip for the front drive shaft and a gasket that goes between the transmission and the case housing. If they try to sell you the clip with the case housing that cost around 8 bucks tell them to make a key ring out of it. On second thought do not make a key ring out of it because you will most likely lose your keys when it breaks

Default GM Lies

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    How did you determine the repair was epoxy? A welded case might "appear" to have been epoxied, especially if the case had been painted. Just curious...

Jim
    Not a problem Jim it was obviously not a weld because when I saw the spot it was a smear. When we (dealership and I) split the case apart it had the same consistency and was obviously "pushed" into the hole. I am not a certified welder but have been around enough and worked with several epoxy compounds such as "unitex" to know the difference.

I had two other mechanics and the shop manager inspect the rebuilt case also they came to the same conclusion and have notified other dealers affliated with the Hendricks name what GM is doing. I elected to reveal the dealership owners because I trust them and have done business with them for years. Although apologetic they said there hands where tied regardless.

This besides the fact I had talked with the engineer at GM who was very familiar with the problem "assured" me on at least two seperate occassions in my conversation with him before I bought the rebuild new tail shaft cases where to replace the ones with holes when rebuilt.

Well see how the warranty works out with the in between old GM and new GM and how Barry Obama plans to honor my warranty should the transfer case fail within the 3 year 100,000 mile warranty