Thread: Allison Fluid Level Check Confusing

Question

Another dumb question but here it is. The diesel supplement book that comes with the truck says cold reading should show on cold hash marks then get transmission up to temp. and check hot. That reading should be half way on hot hash marks. Mine when read cold shows a reading up on hot hash marks, when running and at temp it reads about half way on the cold hash marks. I am confused and anyone reading this may be too. lol Can anyone straighten me out. I just changed the filter and filled the new one before putting it back on. I thought this would be close to the way it was before I started. Thanks for any input.
    2002 3500 D/Max/Allison, Forest Green, Tan interior<br />4x4 LT. Dee Zee Boards, Catch All Matts, EGR Bug Sheild, Mud Flaps, Tonneau Cover, Bed Matt, Palomino 10ft. Slide-in Camper, Tork-Lift tie downs, Rancho 9000 Shocks.

Red face

Good timing. I checked my xmission fluid today and encountered the same readings. Does anyone have the answer?
    2002 GMC 2500HD 4WD S/B

Road Kill

When you checked it cold, The engine was running and you just went P-R-N-D-N-R-P then check 'twice' (at least).... correct?

Like wise, do the same procedure above AFTER tranny temp is 'hot'

Cool

I agree with Mic on the methodology. I just changed mine Sunday and it was in the cold marks with the engine running when I first started up. I drove around for 30 minutes or so and checked it hot and found I needed another 1.5 quarts to be right in the middle of the hot hash marks. [img]smile.gif[/img] Hope this helps you out some.
    02 2500HD LT Dmax/Alli CC 4x4 Lt Pewter, Tan in, Amsoil, transynd, Bilsteins, Amsoil Air Filt, JK 4\" Exht, RollnLock, Rhino Liner, Remote start, alarm, High Idle, SPA DG211, Pred, Mega, Fumoto, Remote oil bypass, XL Tranny cooler, XM, Cell kit

The ideal way is to replace the same anount you take out..Drain and measure what you remove, then fill with same amount..

I check my fluid once when new and do not check it again unless it leaks or till a change..I park on concrete..

Just the way I do it..Hope this helps.. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

Smile

Thanks guys I did it wrong. Cold check was engine off and no shifting. I will do it the right way and see what happens. I did not do any shifting when transmission was hot either. Thanks to all.
    2002 3500 D/Max/Allison, Forest Green, Tan interior<br />4x4 LT. Dee Zee Boards, Catch All Matts, EGR Bug Sheild, Mud Flaps, Tonneau Cover, Bed Matt, Palomino 10ft. Slide-in Camper, Tork-Lift tie downs, Rancho 9000 Shocks.

Smile

Mic: Just cheked it cold like you said and it is on the hash marks. Will check it hot tommorow. Man I don't know what I would do with out this forum, and do I feel dumb. Thanks again.