Thread: Additional fuel filtration / injector replacement poll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2002 Chevy Silverado LTCC, SB,

Added Racor RS60s filtration post OEM, at 20,000 miles.

Original injectors, 132,000 miles, they're not as quite as they used to be, but still run great.
    Never had any kind of problems, starting, running etc. Love that truck.

ROI, supposedly the filtration is down to about 2 microns so I don't expect any problems from particle errosion. I'm sure this has already saved GM some money on replacement of the injectors, next year come July it will be my nickle if they go bad. I jus think its an investment in assurance of continued top performance. I've always maintained my vehicles like I was going to walk out of the house in the morning and drive straight to New York without haveing to check anything first.

Side note: By the way JBPLOCK, you said SWR said the wear was 6 to 7mm size, that's not millimeters obvously, you ment microns right?
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxPollock View Post

Side note: By the way JBPLOCK, you said SWR said the wear was 6 to 7mm size, that's not millimeters obviously, you meant microns right?
    SoTx,

Yes thanks for catching this .. microns not mm (post has been edited)

Also ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Idle_Chatter View Post

Kennedy Mega Filter installed post-OEM ....

... sometimes difficult to change after a long use interval (filter stuck to filter head).
    Tom,
    I also had a tough time breaking my first Mega Filter loose ... when installing the second one I removed the O-ring and coated it with some Parker Super O-lube (similar to silicone grease) .. When the time came to change, it came of with out any trouble ..

Last edited by jbplock; 10-04-2009 at 15:39.
    Bill
    03 2500HD D/A CC/SB/4WD,OilGuard, MegaFilter,LiftPump/PreFilter, Bilsteins,RetraxRollTop,J&J Boards,Coolant Filter,AlliDeepPan,FastIdle,AllHeadLightsOn,
    98 K3500 6.5,SOLD

Default Injector Report

Hi Gang,

1. Year/Make/Model truck - 2001 K-2500 Chevy Standard Cab

2. Engine code (LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM) - LB7

3. Type of additional filtration added, and at what odometer reading - Universal Kit/150k

4. History of injector replacement, if any, and at what odometer reading(s) 1 set at 90k, second set at 165k

5. Overall satisfaction with additional filtration - return on investment commentary - too soon to know, since I was (yes, I'm very ashamed of myself here) tardy in getting the extra filtration on with the early sets of injectors. Have to say it gives me a lot more confidence for the future, though.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
    Member #17

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=richp;247126]Hi Gang,

1. Year/Make/Model truck - 2001 K-2500 Chevy Standard Cab
    2001 GMC EXT CAB

2. Engine code (LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM) - LB7
    LB7

3. Type of additional filtration added, and at what odometer reading - Universal Kit/150k
    CAT750 post OEM 38K

4. History of injector replacement, if any, and at what odometer reading(s) 1 set at 90k, second set at 165k
    Origional

5. Overall satisfaction with additional filtration - return on investment commentary - too soon to know, since I was (yes, I'm very ashamed of myself here) tardy in getting the extra filtration on with the early sets of injectors. Have to say it gives me a lot more confidence for the future, though.
    Looks good so far
    chipper 2001 GMC,,D/MAX,SLE,EXT CAB,LONGBED,LINEX,FIRESTONE AIR BAGS,,driv\'en it & smilling, 32' Excel 5er

1. My truck is a 2003 Ext. Cab. with a lot of aftermarket performance equipment, turbo,intake,4" exhaust, Industrial Injection dual fuel lines, lift pump,exhaust brake, built tranny and triple disk convertor, KENNEDY 100/250HP ECM and more.

2. Engine is LB7

3. Additional filter/water seperator is a heated racor 2 micron.

4. Still running stock injectors. I have used AmSoil Diesel Fuel additive for approx. 3 years along with AmSoil Cetane Booster.

5. I am satisfied with the Racor filter which was installed at 30K. I am now at 41K. I will change both stock and Racor filter this coming spring. Previously to installing the Racor add on filter I was changing the stock filter every 5K miles.

Since my truck has low miles I suppose that it is still too early in it's life cycle to need injectors. At the rate I drive the truck 6500 annual average I hope that any future injector failure will be was off in the future.
    '03 Chev Duramax ext. cab, Kennedy ECM,After Market turbo,tranny, triple disk convertor, Exhaust Brake, electric tran. cooler, dual exhaust, Supertank 57 gallon.

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxPollock View Post
    2002 Chevy Silverado LTCC, SB,

Added Racor RS60s filtration post OEM, at 20,000 miles.

Original injectors, 132,000 miles, they're not as quite as they used to be, but still run great.
    Never had any kind of problems, starting, running etc. Love that truck.

ROI, supposedly the filtration is down to about 2 microns so I don't expect any problems from particle errosion. I'm sure this has already saved GM some money on replacement of the injectors, next year come July it will be my nickle if they go bad. I jus think its an investment in assurance of continued top performance. I've always maintained my vehicles like I was going to walk out of the house in the morning and drive straight to New York without haveing to check anything first.

Side note: By the way JBPLOCK, you said SWR said the wear was 6 to 7mm size, that's not millimeters obvously, you ment microns right?
    UPDATE FOR 2010-Had to do 8 new injectors at 160,000 miles on my nickle, waited too long go get in on the warranty. Truck runs better than it did when new, actually idles smooth now, it never did before. I suspect I may have had a bad injector right from the start at idle and never knew it since it was my first diesel, I also suspect that by the time 20,000 miles went by without additional filtration it was on the way to failure before I got the additional filter installed.

I suspect the mileage will drop a little from the original, but there's no scientific way to blame it on the injectors because of the ULSD which was not available during the first couple of years of the truck's life. I still love it. I would recommend extra filtration to anyone who like me wants to keep the truck for a long time.
    02 2500HD LT D/A SB CC 4X4 BLACK, Westin stainless nerf bars, BW GN Hitch,Racor 60S post oem fuel filter, Oil Guard bypass engine oil Filter. All synthetic fluids. Kennedy boost valve, edge, Modified air intake,EGT & Boost digital gauge,TransferFlow combo fuel & tool box, Air Lift Suspesion Bags Rear & compressor with remote, Bilsteins front & rear, Frontier front replacement bumper.

2006 K3500 - went 166,666 miles until requiring injector replacement. Bone stock, fuel filter changed every 10-15K miles. Fuel sourced anywhere/everywhere across the US and Canada, Howes, FPPF, other name brand fuel conditioners run about 50% of the time.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K