Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a Duramax Suburban?

Default Will there be a Duramax Suburban?

I've read a little about the light duty "baby" duramax coming around 2010, but has anyone heard about the 2500 Suburban getting the D-Max?

I remember the Allison woudn't fit under the last generation Suburban/Yukon XL, but I figured with the new GMT-900, GM had the opportunity to make it work.

Default Perhaps, a Conversion instead of waiting.....

Conversion, to duramax would be nice. As for the floor (hump), a nice removable panel held in w/aircraft fasteners (1/2 turn type) would be ideal way to get that allison to work.

I know my 99 is about 800+ lbs heavier than the newer burbs, guessing it's the chassis and drivetrain.

Yes, I'd buy another newer burb if it came w/diesel.
    99 GMC SUB, 2500, 4x4, 6.5 TD (F) #H32 enhanced blk, Phaser timing set, B&D IC, 3" ATS exh, K&N w/prefilter, 4WD NVG 246, 4L80E kevlar Transgo off road/tow mods/B&M supercooler, 14 FF MagTec w/locker 3.42:1, 9.25" IFS frt/diff 3.42:1 w/ARB locker, AutoMeter Boost & pre-turbo pyro meter, 12,000 lb hydro winch, Warn classic bumper w/brushguard & diesel scoop, Max E-torq Stage 3, hi pop inj, oil bypass sys, on board air comp for front ARB locker & tire inflation, DynaView driving/auto-cornering lts, DZ nerfs, A/T 285/75/16 SilentArmor 3750 lb rated on 3750 lb rated Alcoa, 3 IP drivers 2 r spares.

Haven't heard any new news about the Baby D-Max but GM is comming out with a smaller V-8 diesel for 8600 GVW and smaller trucks.

Here is a link to the press release.

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...74&docid=28147
    Member #4883
    My diesels
    97 Chevy C-3500 Dually, 6.5TD
    85 VW Jetta 1.6L N/A
    85 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.2 N/A
    85 Surburban 2500 4x4 6.2 N/A
    83 Chevy G-30 Van 6.2 N/A

a diesel suburban or yukon would be great ! i d buy one in a minute. the 07 suburbans are fantasic. my boss got one, LTZ ? what a ride.

i see mercedes brought the diesel in the R class and ML class a little early.
    '12 gmc sierra 2500 dmax slt carbon black.
    '12 s350 diesel mb
    '10 mazda 6i, for sale
    '77 450sl benz, in family since new, sold, still in jersey thou
    '91 350sdl benz, 3.5l diesel, 28 mpg
    '90 560sel benz

So why exactly didn't GM put the DMax into the Brub and Yukon?

I mean I am in the market for a new family cruiser and I either need to get a 7 year old burb or an Excursion. I just don't get why they didn't offer the diesel in the SUVs
    6.2 NA, SM465, Dana 18, Saturn OD, Dana 60's all crammed into a 1970 Series IIa 88" Land Rover
    1998 K2500 Burb, relocated PSD, upgraded injectors, cold air intake.
    http://www.aloharovers.com

Talking no d-max in burbans

My guess is the Allison tranny not fitting. Imagine hooking that burban up to that 7 ton trailer and pulling it (and the family, the luggage, the dog, the groceries, plus all the holiday gifts for Uncle Bill and family) across the country. I'd bet the D-max would be up for the job, but I seriously have questions about the old trannies.

I don't know much about the new one. But that's my guess...http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ons/icon10.gif
    Talking
    Scott
    St. Louis, MO

'06 Silverado K2500 4x4 Crew Cab D/A "Big Max" AmpResearch retractable Running Boards, 4" Turbo back Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Custom Tune!
    '99 BMW K1200LT "Special K" my other "SUV"
    '07 Salem by Forest River Fifth Wheel Toy Hauler

I don't understand why they wouldn't modify the floor in the same way they do with the pickups.
    It just boggles the mind the decisions that car makers make.
    6.2 NA, SM465, Dana 18, Saturn OD, Dana 60's all crammed into a 1970 Series IIa 88" Land Rover

Arrow

The GMT-800 pickups (01-07) don't have a modified floor/tunnel. GM's answer was a 2" body lift. It's my guess the high center of gravity of SUV's, and accompanying public controversy, made GM very hesitant to do the same for the Suburbans. You can probably thank the publicity of the Samuri, Bronco II and Explorer for their reasoning.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Ahh that makes more sense. Also explains the more ruged stance on the HDs

So I guess if someone didn't fear the sawzall and they had a 03 Sub and a wrecked 03 HD pickup the conversion would be straight forward?

Arrow

It's been done.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick
    It's been done.
    And you heard it here first!

Dmax Burb Article
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Even the "Allison won't fit" argument doesn't hunt. They've built the D-max Express Van with the 4L85-E, and I'd own a Diesel Suburban even if I had to take it with a de-rated D-max. It's been "comming next year" since 2001. I stopped holding my breath on 9/28/04 when it became obvious that it wouldn't happen for 2005, and I bought the flex fuel Suburban. It's nice, but I'd rather burn LSD than E85. (Although, the way the price of diesel has stayed above the prices of gas and E85 the last couple years I think I'd have spent more to fuel a D-max.)
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC D/ZF SB Fire Red 2WD no longer the fastest stocker up the hill at the TDP Pull Off. -sold-
    2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L 2WD
    1996 GMC Sierra 1500 5.0L 5sp 2WD LB

The latest Diesel magazines seem to think that the DMAX is done and that a newer engine design from a different supplier may be an option (hope those are false rumors). I too am in the baby DMAX in front of a 4L85E or the upcoming 6L80E would be a very nice rig. Too bad GM doesn't get on the band wagon. I hate to rag on GM, I know they have their issues and regulations to meet, but throw me a frickin' bone and build it already.....pleeeease!
    JP
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

If the DMax were done this model year (which I find hard to believe) - I would stockpile, rebuild and run DMax/Allison combos until I retired twenty years from now.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 01-28-2007 at 21:42.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

There is a outfit in the states that will convert 00 to 07 yukonXL's or Suburbans with the Duramax Diesel. I called that outfit up once, before I bought my 07 Silverado. There are a few problems to overcome in the Suburban Duramax conversion that one has to think about.
    1. The Allison doesn't fit and the Burb has to have a 2" Body lift.
    2. The Hydro boost
    3. The electronic gas pedal
    4. The front and rear air conditioning
    Now until here I was fine but then:
    5. The computers and modules. That dude that does these conversions had to make his own software to make everything work, so it isn't easy to just yank a D-Max in a Burb, otherwise I would of done mine. Google Duramax Suburban...

DM

I don't think its that hard just time consuming and a lil expensive. My friend Felix here in Miami is currently working on finishing up a project of his. And every one knows that he is the man when it comes to a diesel conversion, and horsepower in excess of 900. He just finished a Ford Ranger conversion to a 5.9l Cummins with twin turbo and supercharger. And is almost done now with his LLY into a 2005 Cadillac EXT. He is not real big, but when it comes to perfomance and racing people flock to him, I guess thats why he started putting 24.5" rims on regular 3500, F-350, and all other duallies out there since the 90's. Just a lil input

The Allison will NOT fit in the new GMT-900 'Burb, without a body lift of some sort. It was in the latest Truck Trend mag. (if you can believe them)

GM needs to get off their rears and get a Diesel in the 1500 pickups and the tahoe/'burb lineup. It needs to be capable of 25+mpg and they won't be able to build enough of them. I heard the new 6 speed auto in the Escalades are really nice.....

Arrow Why no diesel Suburban?

Regarding a new Duramax Suburban, we've waited in eager anticipation for seven years now. Here are my thoughts...

GM's latest web site explains why a gas engine offering in their medium-duty line-up is a worthwhile consideration, and perhaps hints at why GM is not bullish on diesel. The following was clipped from their web site.

The advantages of gas:
    1- Gas engines cost less than diesel engines.
    2- Gasoline is more universally available.
    3- Quiet operation.
    4- Good solution for lower-mileage applications.
    5- Easy to service.
    6- Fast cab heater warm-up.
    GM has kept its finger in the pie, and has developed many diesel Suburban prototypes in the past seven years - using both the Duramax 6600 and a V-6 derivative. In my opinion, they haven't moved on it because of a lack of corporate will. Their V-6 was poised to pounce, but when Ford dropped their V-6 PSD, the V-6 Duramax was quietly moved off the table. GM was waiting for Ford to break the ice - i.e. to assume more of the risk in market development.

We've been told the Duramax/Allison won't fit the Suburban without a body lift. GM has said a body lift would make the Suburban more prone to roll-overs. I think these are valid points. All it would take is a change in the die that stamps the floor-pan to accomodate the Allison. But, the Allison is not necessary for a Suburban. The G-series cargo vans are available with the Duramax 6600 and 4L85-E automatic. Why not the Suburban?

Back in 2001-2002 period, I was told that GM was selling all of the gas Suburbans it could produce, and the question was posed to me, "Why would we complicate the manufacturing process by offering a diesel engine?"

If Ford began offering a new diesel SUV, GM would soon follow. They already have the diesel programs, they already have the engines, they already have the prototypes. They just need a little corporate will - in my opinion. So do Ford and Dodge.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 02-01-2007 at 22:46.

Because the van doesn't have the allison. it uses the 4L80E and thus the 6.6L Dmax has to be derated and everything fits together nice without a body lift. Heck I fried the 4l80e @ 65000km with my 6.0l. so much for durability. I would not put a 4l80e on a DMax, derated or not.

you are gonna have failures in the real world... that is just the way it is.

I was reading that Toytoa has bought a 5.9% stake in Isuzu. Last April GM sold it's 7.9% stake in Isuzu. Does this mean the Duramax will come to a end soon, after a contract runs out or something like that.....
    Toyota is coming out swinging with their new Tundra...A diesel in the near future. They are hoping to gain more popularity by entering the Nextel Cup this year. Seems people are giving in, I see lots of their vehicles everyday. I hate it when people say Toyota is built in the US, it's American....so what the bottom line goes back to Japan. I would drive a Ford before a Toyota.