Thread: Used Motor Oil As Fuel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Results . . .

"at the same time see if I can source some bulk 10W mineral oil in bulk. If I can get 10W mineral oil in bulk at around $2.00 gallon, taking into account that it requires no processing, I would think this would be a nearly ideal fuel for our 6.5's."

Ever get any results with this, anybody? . . . Bueller? . . .
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by MajMike View Post
    "at the same time see if I can source some bulk 10W mineral oil in bulk. If I can get 10W mineral oil in bulk at around $2.00 gallon, taking into account that it requires no processing, I would think this would be a nearly ideal fuel for our 6.5's."

Ever get any results with this, anybody? . . . Bueller? . . .
    I've got a pile of US military documents around here somewhere that discuss the use of motor oil mixed with diesel fuel for use in their HMMWVs and other vehicles. In short, the military very strongly discourages the practice.

They said it actually reduces performance because oil/fuel mixes are less combustible than diesel fuel. Other papers cite carbon buildup on pistons and rings as a problem unless the vehicle is used in ways that generate higher exhaust temperatures.

I'd not want to use more than a 50/50 mix, and I'd not want to run it in the winter (too cool exhaust temps to burn efficiently).

Default Mineral oil . . .

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    I've got a pile of US military documents around here somewhere that discuss the use of motor oil mixed with diesel fuel for use in their HMMWVs and other vehicles. In short, the military very strongly discourages the practice.

They said it actually reduces performance because oil/fuel mixes are less combustible than diesel fuel. Other papers cite carbon buildup on pistons and rings as a problem unless the vehicle is used in ways that generate higher exhaust temperatures.

I'd not want to use more than a 50/50 mix, and I'd not want to run it in the winter (too cool exhaust temps to burn efficiently).
    I agree, I would only do so in an emergency (ie. SHTF), what about the mineral oil as mentioned above, any thoughts?
    1982 K5 Blazer 4wd w/ 6.2 turbodiesel (Banks Sidewinder) w/ rear disk brakes, more to come . . .