Thread: Will a factory 6.5 turbo system work on an 80's 6.2?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by suburban-marco View Post
    Hello Guys!
    I'm Marco from Berlin, Germany.
    I'm reading in this forum since several month and it's great. I found some good info.
    At this time I restore my '84 Suburban completely frame off.
    I plan to convert from n/a to turbo.
    I have a GM8 with manifold and 4911 IP. Lowered compression ratio to 18:1,Mahle pistons and so on.
    But my question is to the less clearance between turbo and a/c-box!
    the common problems with the 6.5 GM turbos in square-body-trucks are the to long truck-nozzles, so I went to the 1cm shorter van-nozzles.
    The problem with routing the downpipe somehow between body and frame I have to solve. Somehow. I will see.
    But my most important question is: how much space is between the downpipe/heatshield and the a/c-box??
    Or how much is too less??
    Because, I relocated my engine 2" forward. Would that be enough to fit in the engine bay with turbo AND a/c-box??
    Greetings Marco
    The biggest problem when attempting to use a factory 6.5 turbo system is the turbo's exhaust exit interference with the frame rail. No good fix for that. Secondarily, there's turbo interference with the factory A/C box on the firewall.

It's worth your time, effort and a few dollars to get a Banks 6.2L Sidewinder exhaust manifold. I wouldn't consider anything else. Jim

Moving the engine ahead the 2 inches as you have said,. would certainly give you quite a bit more room,..
    I saw a manifold for sale recently made by a company called CTS??,. it cocked the turbo at an angle especially for adapting a turbo into a boxy style truck to move the down pipe away from the a/c box.

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    Moving the engine ahead the 2 inches as you have said,. would certainly give you quite a bit more room,..
    I saw a manifold for sale recently made by a company called CTS??,. it cocked the turbo at an angle especially for adapting a turbo into a boxy style truck to move the down pipe away from the a/c box.

Nick
    UPDATE: i searched around and found the manifold ,. they are listed as brand new, and as i said it will offset the turbo so there is no interference with the A/C box,.

You need to PM me for the address, because they are listed on another forum.

Nick
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    UPDATE: i searched around and found the manifold ,. they are listed as brand new, and as i said it will offset the turbo so there is no interference with the A/C box,.

You need to PM me for the address, because they are listed on another forum.

Nick
    Hi Guys,
    I just saw, my last answer wasn't posted.
    Don't know what went wrong
    And Nick, I didn't found the way to pm you...