Quote Originally Posted by suburban-marco View Post
Hello Guys!
I'm Marco from Berlin, Germany.
I'm reading in this forum since several month and it's great. I found some good info.
At this time I restore my '84 Suburban completely frame off.
I plan to convert from n/a to turbo.
I have a GM8 with manifold and 4911 IP. Lowered compression ratio to 18:1,Mahle pistons and so on.
But my question is to the less clearance between turbo and a/c-box!
the common problems with the 6.5 GM turbos in square-body-trucks are the to long truck-nozzles, so I went to the 1cm shorter van-nozzles.
The problem with routing the downpipe somehow between body and frame I have to solve. Somehow. I will see.
But my most important question is: how much space is between the downpipe/heatshield and the a/c-box??
Or how much is too less??
Because, I relocated my engine 2" forward. Would that be enough to fit in the engine bay with turbo AND a/c-box??
Greetings Marco
The biggest problem when attempting to use a factory 6.5 turbo system is the turbo's exhaust exit interference with the frame rail. No good fix for that. Secondarily, there's turbo interference with the factory A/C box on the firewall.

It's worth your time, effort and a few dollars to get a Banks 6.2L Sidewinder exhaust manifold. I wouldn't consider anything else. Jim