Thread: Amg P400

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Intercooler Installed

I read the DIY Charge Air Cooler article and generally followed it for the most part.

I modified plumbing and did the install to suite my truck. I had previously installed large aftermarket oil cooler lines... and therefore needed to place the intercooler lower under the bumper due to inference.

Here are pictures for you viewing pleasure starting from the turbo:

Cost was approximately $475

I haven't dyno'd the truck yet but it has noticeably more pull...

I'll be fabing up an intercooler guard to prevent banging the thing. It is in a horrible spot... be we work with what we are given.

Yessssss indeed, a wretched place to put a cooler I agree.

I have seen one placed in a custom winch bumper brush guard up front that looked nice and protected the cooler very well.

The only way it would get hurt would be a direct head on crash.
    The cooler was behind a nice aluminum expanded metal grill to keep rocks off it too.

Nice job on your truck BTW.

Anxious to hear the results of your tests.

best

Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Default What should I call this? An intercooler Grate or Grill?

Well... I'm nearing the end of my project truck and I'm going to miss wrenching on it.... kind-of. Here are a few pics of the "protection" I put in front of the intercooler.

The skeleton will hopefully provide protection from a dreaded collision with anything.

I put a jack under the 3/8" bottom steel plate and it has the strength to hold both front wheels off the ground! The aluminum grill/shield is for rocks. I am heading down 60 km (40 miles) of gravel on Sunday to get to a fishing destination... I wanted protection from the stones.

Forgot to mention... the skeleton above is welded between hooks. To remove you unbolt the hooks and 2 more grade 8 bolts on the bottom plate.

I installed dual 9" electric "pull" fans... made in Italy. I hooked them up through a relay and manual switch inside the cab.

The fans will probably only be used when cruising up a long steep grade... but I added them because thats when you need the cooling most!

The switch on the dash lights up when the fans are rolling!
    Cheers..

Please keep me informed of testing with and without the fans. That is a mod i have been contemplating...

Thumbs up

Nice work JB. Does your IC sit any lower than the commercial kit IC's?

The Turbo Tech IC I installed in our 6.5 project back a few years ago didn't sit low enough to be affected by concrete parking lot stops or curb height objects.

Jim