Recently had my IP rebuilt, and while I was at it, I changed the time chain and gear set, water pump etc. My injectors were rebuilt last year, and this has been sitting since the hurricanes passed through the area. I have a three year old electric fuel pump and my starter is about two years old, with good batteries and a new 2AWG primary cable to the starter.

My first successfull start produced lots of black smoke and then I had to keep the pedal about a quarter of the way down in order to keep it running. White smoke eventually died down, and it had a decent idle when it warmed up.

Ever since, starting has been a bit easier, but the white smoke stays at start, my idle is a bit rough, but I have plenty of power and can hit 55 MPH easily.

I could not find a soul in Polk County who had the proper equipment to set timing so I had to take it to the Stanadyne shop in Tampa this morning. After fifteen minutes the lead man came out to say they were unable to set timing because the indications were "ranging" too much. He said it might be the electric pump and the fact that I had modified the fuel lines. (I have my own vegetable oil conversion kit, but I'm not using it until I get the truck running better.) He suggested going back to a mechanical fuel pump to see if that helps. Fine, but it shoots a half day just to run it over there and back on the secondary roads. Plus I think I threw out the push rod for the mechanical pump, since I've never seen anything on this site to indicate the electric pumps ever being a problem.

The idle seems higher and a little rougher since I've had it in the shop, and the white smoke was there on start up this afternoon, after it had cooled down.

I've been reading post after post about the timing, and used a shop manual when setting up the gears and chain.

Should I assume one tooth off, like on Mark's post?

Should I just change the electric fuel pump out to be safe or go back to mechanical?

Is there a diagram somewhere showing which Inj lines go to which port, or can I assume, like a gasser that if I find number one and follow the firing order on the intake I should be golden?

Should I put the truck on the street with a low price and hope the next guy is worse than me on diesels?