Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High Miles Contest!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mine's a baby. A mere 180k on a 1990 "J"

Hit 297,000 yesterday in my 91 suburban

Default `Bought a Canadian 1986 GMC 6.2 L last week with

428,000 KM on the OD, which I guess is about 270,000 miles. I'm not much of a mechanic, but it came with a service manual and records from day one, including oil changes and receipts.

`Thing shifts hard, but starts easy and seems to be a powerful runner, with no smoke. So I called the original owner and he was happy to speak with me. He said it has a 410 ratio differential and was a creampuff when he sold it in 2000, and advised me to change the differential fluid every 10,000 miles. He added the 2 micron Racor fuel filter, tac, temp gauges for engine oil and one for transmission, plus he said he replaced the IP with one with stainless steel inner parts. It also has a remote and alarm, trailer hitch, hook up for electric brakes, and custom shell with double doors.... and a lot of other electrical switches and stuff that I'm not yet sure of...

I paid $2000. for it in Auburn WA. This guy had it for a year and put a couple of small dings in it. I don't mind the miles because it's for the garden... pulling a trailer with bark, never more than 2000 lbs and probably less than 2000 miles per year.... But the thing rides nice and now I know why you guys like these trucks, because it's it's really fun to drive! Hummm, well, maybe I'll drive it a bit more than 2000 miles per year....

Default BTW, Does this mean I win,

and you want a picture of my OD?
    1986 Canadian GMC 6.2L, LL4 Heavy Duty, duel tank, C25, 410 differential 428,000 odd Km.
    1982 MB 300D T, Single Tank WVO, 323,3XX miles
    Change alone is eternal, perpetual, immortal.

Default 1992 6.2 diesel

I have a 92 GMC half ton 2wd with a 6.2 diesel in it. It currently has 654k on it and still runs great. I've had the truck for 13 years and I drive it to work (1.5 hr one way) everyday. I've put about 400k on it since I got it. By far the best truck I've ever owned. I'll admit I have had to put a bit of money into it here or there but for the most part I couldn't be happier. All the repairs I have done myself so the actual hard costs weren't to bad.

I have a new one in my garage that I bought 2 yrs ago with 18k on it that I bought because this one was supposed to die and it still hasn't. I don't know how long it will last but it just keeps going.

looks like this is a long time running contest, and with many with higher miles than mine, but I'll throw mine in there as well-

91 suburban original engine with 275,000 mi. I put a new head on it after I bought it broken, and have ran it through a couple oil changes so far this year. underpowered, loud, smoke, and a little bit out of the ordinary, but that's what makes it American and I love it.

Might keep it around for 50 years just so they can bury me in it.

Talking

190,000 so far as I can tell from the carfax reports on my truck's previous history.
    Greg

07 Cadillac DTS NHP, 86 Chevy C10 6.2L Silverado SWB Apple Red--sold, 2001 White VW New Beetle GLS TDi 50mpg! 1995 VW GTI VR6--sold and greatly missed!
    "Try not!...Do!...or Do Not!...There is No Try!"--YODA

Arrow

Up the ante....

In addition to a choice of any book, TDP will throw in a free Option A renewal and a 6.2L Diesel hat/t-shirt (we're working on the design now - will available before spring).

How long do you guys want to run the contest?

Jim

My truck got just over 97800 on the clock. When I got it from the previous owner it was on 12000 and he said it hit the 00000 three times. I swapped heads so I suppose that disqualify this old truck but it still going strong.
    Danie

1982 Blazer ("Ratau" ROAR OFF THE BIG LION in African Tswana language.) 6.2L N/A, 700R4, 3.08 gears, 33" BF's. DSG timing gears, 12" Donaldson air filter, J intake and dual 2.5" exhaust. The rest stock.

Well as my sig. says I have a 82 burban with 270K on the clock (original) and I have a 88 burb with 250K (original) Its down because of IJ pump and also I have a 83 my daily driver that has 240 now thats original. and my 96 has 160K
    -96 6.5TD K3500 Crew Cab Dually 4x4, 97 cooling mods, Dmax fan, 3.5" downpipe, 4.5" straight exhaust, intercooler, custom intake plenum, fast idle switch, Ranch Hand bumpers, Turbo Master, egt, boost, & trans gauges, 6" Superlift, K&N off the turbo.
    -88 6.2 3/4 burban 255K
    -83 6.2 CC C30 220K
    -82 6.2 1/2 4x4 burban 270K

Dieselboy Guest

The 85 has 341K miles with 300K on original 6.2L.
    The 96 has 225K miles on the original 6.5TD.

We've had pretty good luck with these engines.

I had 246,000 on the original engine in the NA form that eventually was pulled for low compression but ran great( who know how long it could have went!). My Original milestone was to get above 300,000 but winter starting was getting to me but I got that far thru reading posts and using good ideas. In the end it was I good thing I changed it because I found the dreaded block cracks.
    I now have 1000 miles on the current replacement motor(went with a low mileage military motor) that I'm still making minor adjustments on. Just a thanks to all who contribute to this forum, without it I would have never attempted my first engine swap.
    1991 suburban 6.2L, DSG gears, banks turbo, 480LE, 3.73

1983 C10 with 246K miles with original engine. Getting ready to convert to serpentine and add dual crossover with higher pop injectors.
    Bill Efland
    83 C10 6.2TD Short Bed
    befland@yahoo.com

KEVIN MUNCASTER Guest

Thumbs up

hey Bill....I bought something from you on ebay in October.....A DASH BEZEL I beleive.....funny where you meet people....

Kevin

Ha! I forgot I even sold that thing. I bought a totaled truck and the bezel was in such good shape I decided to use it in my truck. After spending about an hour modifying it for the universal type radio...I started installing...that's when I noticed it did not have the hole for the windshield wiper switch! That one was from an 85 truck and mine is an 83.
    Bill Efland
    83 C10 6.2TD Short Bed
    befland@yahoo.com

K1500 -88, 461000 km, odometer somehow stopped about 3 years ago.
    Timing chain just replaced, original injector pump (works quite fine except rough idling).

BTW, speedometer still working, any tips for odo trobleshooting?

I just got an 85 k2500 with just a hair over 450k. The price was right (free)

Question 1986 6.2l

My 1986 HMMWV odometer has only 5 digits on it, and I have went through 3 speedometers already and there are signs that the original meter has rolled over once maybe even twice, does that mean I win?

Default Good things come to those who wait...

Hey,
    I'd been searchin' for a Diesel to try BioDiesel/WVO in for over a year. Last week a guy I met that comes from Canada through my port of entry tells me he's got a '91 GMC Suburban...I CAN HAVE...FREE! Of course I'm picturing a pile of junk long overdue for the scrap yard. I picked it up from a tow-yard (where he had it towed when it died), paid $155 for towing/storage fee. A new fuel pump, filter and I killed three Marine Deep Cycle Batteries pushing the air out of the system...IT RUNS!! Really well. Not perfect, the rear tailgate window is missing, a board is in it's place...but other than a few cosmetics...she's a beaut!

I'm importing it from Canada, already paid $75 for GM to send me the compliance letter (Anyone importing from Canada, talk to me first, I'm with US Customs) by the way, this beast has over 400k km! God Bless Diesels!!

It's my second experience with a Diesel...my first was when my parent's bought 1981 Olds Gutless 5.7L Diesel Nightmare when I was in high school. It stranded my date and I after the Senior Prom in San Francisco In 1985 my Dad tried to trade it in on another GM product...the dealer wouldn't give him ANYTHING for it in trade...he's never bought another GM since. Me, I like GM but this is my first Diesel...so I hope I can count on you guys for help.

See you on the road!

P.S. Since I can't help you with Diesels...ask me anything about Immigration or Customs rules, regulations or laws. I'd be happy to help.

Default it was'nt a diesel but...

832000,when i sold it two years ago.1983 k20, the white rhino,as it was dubbed,three t700's,two t400's two tranfer cases,two long blocks,had a diesel like knock down low when i drove it up onto the trailer of it's next owner,who immediatley started pumpin up the air bags of his escillaide,while exclaiming,"man that thing is heavy!" back when hd did'nt have to be included in the same sentence as 3/4 ton truck, as it was a givin.