Thread: 88 Suburban 6.2 to 6.5 Optimizer upgrade - Banks Sidewinder and Serpentine Belt?

Default 88 Suburban 6.2 to 6.5 Optimizer upgrade - Banks Sidewinder and Serpentine Belt?

Hello -
    I am putting a new GEP optimizer long block in my old bourbon. I had a 6.2 w/ Banks sidewinder that did really well for the last 200K or so. Chassis has 340K on it.
    I'd like to keep and run the sidewinder.

I want to convert to the serpentine belt - and have the correct accessories, but am running into a conflict b/t the banks manifold and the vacuum pump bracket.

I have a DB4 mechanical pump and new injectors, lines, and plugs (don't want to touch any of that stuff after its in).

I'm all for ditching the vacuum pump - brakes are boosted by the power steering pump so I think its just for HVAC dampers... Anyone done this?

It is an automatic 700r4, 4wd and has AC (front and rear), and used to be white before I brought it to Oregon and the paint decided to go home to Idaho after the first rainy season. Guess that miracle primer-less paint wasn't so much.

Any advice, experiences, and / or sympathy greatly appreciated.

Rob

Why not run the 6.2L style vacuum pump that is in the rear valley of the engine?

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Why not run the 6.2L style vacuum pump that is in the rear valley of the engine?

Casey
    That's plan C. But if I can get rid of it, I'd prefer that. Also considering a small electric vacuum pump, if I can't figure out a cable system for the 4 dampers in the HVAC.
    At this point this is fairly low priority. Solving the turbo and install is #1 and I want to do that "right". I can live with a hacked dash and I pretty much run defrost 100% of the time.
    While it does have AC its never worked. I'd like to get it working and am making provisions, but again, low priority. Engine first, driver second!

I'd verify whether the HVAC needs vacuum... If not, I'd ditch the vacuum pump. You can swap in a newer cruise control module and cable assy from a 90's body style gas truck/Suburban to get cruise control functional. Just get the electrical harness pigtail along with the cruise module to make it easier to wire. It'll just need a digital signal from the vehicle speed sensor, power and ground + turn signal stalk switch control.