Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
I had to chuckle at your comment "the weather turned cold" when i looked at your location.
My comment would be for summer "the weather got to hot to work outside"
Here i would think nothing of dropping a starter at -20 C which i believe is -4 F
But when it gets hot like 35 C or 95 F i am inside trying to stay cool somehow, and working is the furthest thing from my mind
Plus put me in the proud deplorable camp.Here we were called the fringe minority by our Blackfaced "leader"
You can try to carefully short out the starter by applying power to the small terminal from the big one with a screwdriver or similar just remember the carefully part as you can melt things if the screwdriver touches ground.
I have used that trick many times to get something running

Weather warmed back up so I pulled the starter, tested the solenoid, then the starter motor. Solenoid hummed when I put power to it, then I had to push the solenoid rod to make it work, it did stay in but was already getting warm, so it was shot. Starter motor ran fine.Put it all back together with new solenoid and it cranked right up. The wire I thought was on the R terminal was actually on the S terminal, there was no R terminal. Everything is good to go now. Thank you everyone that responded, the information was appreciated.
RudyJ
Waco, Tx