Thread: Newest Book! Duramax Diesel Service Guide

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wink Yes, successfully replacing the head gaskets on a Duramax 6600 is possible.

This photo shows the point in a head gasket replacement where the heads had been removed and the block prep was about to begin.

Actually, getting to this point created a new enthusiasm to move forward with the project because I could now begin the process of re-assembly. I had already successfully completed a head gasket replacement project on my 2001 GMC just a few days prior, so this one seemed easier... I only wish I'd had the "Duramax Service Guide" before beginning.

Here's what it looked like before/after replacing the head gaskets:

Last edited by More Power; 02-22-2023 at 12:43.

Thumbs up 2/13/2024 - Feedback

I appreciate feedback. Here's a response to receiving our Duramax Service Guide that I thought I'd share.

February 11, 2024
    RE: The Diesel Page - Duramax Diesel Service Guide
    Jim,

Thank you very much for putting together an awesome guide. It is funny how similar many Duramax owners' stories actually are. As an original owner of a 2003 LB7, it was the daily driver for much of ~12-15 years until small repairs crept up and the arrival of several additions to the family along the way pulled attention and priorities away from upkeep. I eventually had to tackle the water pump replacement about 7 years ago, and just had the slave cylinder on the ZF fail in the bellhousing right before Thanksgiving last year. (Thank goodness it blew right as I was starting to pull out of the driveway). Spent the better part of a 3-day weekend putting in a new clutch and flywheel, which led to the typical repair-creep with trucks this age. The more you crawl underneath, the more I found that needed attention. The plastic clutch pedal assembly actually snapped in half, U-joints were factory and were in need of replacement, fuel lines corroded at the cooler.

So fast-forward after a few months of several odds and ends to get it running right. I have had the slight smoke in exhaust for a year or two now, and verified that 2 injectors (4 and 8) are out of spec on balance rates. The idea of opening the valve covers is something that just terrifies me, so your guide is giving me the knowledge and confidence that it is something I can do. Still working towards getting to that rather large investment of an injector set, but I want to do it right and I want to go with the SAC style injectors, so making sure I can get to the complete kits with all replacement lines and hardware. As noted before, something always goes wrong during the work with a truck this age.

Again, thanks for such a great guide.
    Take Care,
    Chris R.