Quote Originally Posted by a5150nut View Post
Reminds me of the days when gas stations carried quart jars of reclaimed oil. My brother bought a 57 Chevy and when he pulled the valve covers it was almost solid wax under them.
Back about 1969-1971 I owned a '58 Chevy that had a 283 small block. I pulled the valve covers on this engine at the time to reseal the valve covers and was a bit appalled to see a thick layer of black gelled oil on everything. It ran well enough, despite the discovery. I didn't know what else to do, so I flushed the engine with diesel fuel a couple of times. Looking back, I could have caused more trouble than I fixed, but I felt a bit better after having flushed the engine. The 283 continued to run well till I sold the car a couple of years after. The motor oil we had then really wasn't very good by today's standards.

Today, cars can run for hundreds of thousands of miles. I watch videos now and then about older cars that were found in a barn and hadn't run for 20-40+ years. Their odometers usually all show 60-80k miles before they were parked. Engine trouble or some other drive-train problem is the usual reason for parking a car. The "good old days"? Back in 1969 I bought an all original, nearly perfect and 100% complete 1957 Chevy Bel Air 2-door HT for $75. Even the interior was nice. But... it didn't run, with just 67,000 miles on the odo.