I always found the filter change on the Sierra to be a cinch, in comparison to the Kodiak. Mostly, because I removed a big piece of the passenger-side fender liner and made a stiff plastic cover for the hole, held on with SS sheet metal screws. A quick zip with an 18V driver, opened, or closed it, and I just reached in, over the tire and easily accessed everything. In the Sierra, there was no huge, stiff, unmovable wiring harness, rubbing the body of the filter canister.
Anyhow, the new after-market lift--pump & filter (Air Dog) has freed me up, 500%. I think I've ducked a bullet, in that I have towed 2400+ miles without issues, with an 80 gallon fuel tank, that had the potential to have residual algae in it. The AD filter is 2 micron, and I expected to have to change it, going across to Texas. Didn't happen, and I'm thankful. The rig sits in B-ville, with a very full tank of fuel from a station that's just 200 yards away, and it has an oversize dose of algae killer and other fuel treatments in it.