Our "out the door" cost was a bit less than that, even with all but about $400 of available options (and CA sales tax and DMV). We used the Costco pricing, which evens out to about invoice price (invoice + $200, and included about $200 of gift checks/credits). The GM rebates were also included. We didn't use GM's financing, so we kept the rebates, which are usually in lieu of GM's financing.

The Diesel option up-rates the trim to about the LTZ level, which is a premium, and at the same time, disqualifies some options of the RS model. The additional expense (from the mfg's standpoint) of the engine, tranny, and management systems justifies it, I think. A similar priced VW will be a base model, and not at all impressive (we looked at/drove them all). We ended up comparing the Cruze with the Passat, feature for feature, comfort for comfort, and the Cruze won, marginally. The cost differential was more than 10 grand, not so marginal. Compared to the Jetta, it was no contest, and the Jetta would still cost more. If the long term quality is anything near the initial quality, it will be a real winner. I wasn't impressed with the used VW TDI's I looked at with miles on them. Don't get me wrong, VW makes a quality car, but we were not surprised at all. The Cruze has a much more impressive "finish" to it.

Engine. Yep, German made, top to bottom. A LOT of very familiar parts and markings, compared to the TDI's. My only reservation with it, is the use of a timing belt in a zero-clearance engine. It's probably nothing to worry about, or maybe I'm just old school. They've been used on the VW's for decades with very few issues. I dunno....

Transmission. Japanese, for sure. Aisin (Seiki), is Japan's HD tranny mfg, comparable to the US's Alison. Toyota has a majority ownership, but is operationally disconnected. Dodge is using them in the current Cummins powertrains (different model, of course). I'm actually very pleased they went this route. The transmission performance compliments the engine very well, and seems as solid as can be. It's no "slush box", by any measure. Firm, decisive, accurate and smooth.

The car is certainly worth a close look, if you're considering it.