Thread: Chevy Cruze

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Am I reading this right? GM dropping the Cruze diesel? What's the latest news on this? I've been more than half-way thinking about trading our Malibu, back home in Vt. and it would be for a Cruze diesel, if I had my way.
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Arrow

No, not really. They aren't talking much about it, but the Diesel option is only, supposedly, temporarily unavailable. The reason given is, the 2016 model was re-tooled as of January 1. The only available new model now manufacturing is the "Cruze Limited", which is not available with the Diesel option. The latest word I have is, the Diesel option will be available again with the 2017 model year. Considering GM's past tooling transition model years, this isn't uncommon, or unusual. Why they do this, I dunno. It could be a powertrain certification issue, or it could be just a wild hair, somewhere. Either way, I'm OK with it, as long as they offer the option again. Teresa loves her car, and the only reason we want to trade up is to get the greater trade value with lower miles and warranty left. It doesn't really matter to me, as I don't drive it nearly as often as she does. She fills it up, and it just goes. No significant issues, to date, which is kinda boring to me (but I'm OK with a car that doesn't break). She's happy, so I'm happy.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks, Maverick.
    Back in 013, when we bought the used 011 Malibu, I had driven a gas Cruse, here in Texas before we flew home for Christmas, and loved it. I didn't notice that it was particularly hard to get into/ out of, but our son tried one at home and complained about that issue. Well, he talked me into buying the Malibu, because it was a flood car with less than 5000 miles on it, and we got a deal.
    Now, guess which car he complains about entry/exit? So, after all that being said, what's you'r feeling about that issue? Same-worse-better than a Cruse?
    2008 Jaco Seneca 35' motor home (Kodiak 5500 chassis). Pulling 18' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer, with 2016 Miata in it.

Arrow

It's a small (compact) car, to be sure. However, entry/exit is as good as any compact to mid-size car. The seat, when lowered all the way, is very low, but not any lower than any similar size car. I'm 9" taller (less-short) than my wife, so trading drivers requires prior seat movement. No problem, it's powered. The trade-off is leg room for rear passengers, if a tall person is seated in front of them. The seats have a long adjustment travel, so long leg room can be had, front or back, but not front and back, on the same side. Shoulder and head room is very good for a small car, but if you've driven one, you'd remember if it was an issue. I've driven a 2014 and 15 Malibu, and they are larger, dimensionally. However, the Cruze actually feels as large while driving. Simply, it's bigger than it looks. When we were car shopping, the Passat was one option. The Cruze, while actually smaller, felt more roomy. Of course, this is all subjective. Don't take my (or anyone's) word for it. Go drive one. Rent one for a weekend.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks. Will do that very thing one of these days.