Thread: What motor oil do you use and why?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Agreed. I could never keep Rotella in my engines, was always adding oil as it vaporized off.

I use Mobil Delvac black jug conventional and do 10K oil changes, which is about every month during the season. I have about 800K happy miles on seven Duramax trucks using this method and brand. I carry no oil on the trucks, never add between oil changes anymore.

Interestingly, CAT has stepped away from use of multi-viscosity oils (Rotella 15/40 is just as commonly used in the marine industry) in their turbocharged and aftercooled marine engines for the same reason - breakdown.

As the oil breaks down, it plugs the aftercoolers with sticky black goo that is residual from the additive package that gives the oil its multi-viscosity properties. CAT now requires a straight weight DELO 30W for my boats twin CATs.

I had maintenance records from the previous owner that indicated Rotella had been used about half the seasons since 2000, so I had the aftercoolers pulled and steam cleaned, engine oil changed to DELO 30W.
    Last edited by Mark Rinker; 10-29-2012 at 05:39.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K