Thread: need axle advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default need axle advice

So I searched and I searched and now I'm just gonna ask.

My ride is a 1991 V1500 Sub with a corporate 10 bolt, 8.5" axle. The rig is a 6.5TD (actually a 6.5 repower of a 6.2 setup with a Banks turbo, but I digress)

I need to swap out the F&R ring an pinion, because the truck shifts all wonky. I've got a 3.42 gear ratio and 33" tires, and the resulting RPMs are too low. This is causing issues with turbo engagement, which in turn is causing problems with excess heat generation. Also, the transmission has shifting conniptions because the gears are spaced too long. I found that 3.90 gears will get me exactly back to the stock design range for RPMs, but again, I digress.

So I'm about to order my R&P when I start thinking about axles. I've got the 10 bolt on larger tires and a new shiny snail adding 100 torques. May get a tiny lift if I replace the gawdawful springs. May also tow a small weight on rare occasions (<4000#). Is the 10 bolt up to the task long term? If not what should I get? Most importantly, I could not find reliable information on what bolts on to the truck, what requires another part or two, and what requires major modification. Here are some options:

Corporate 12 Bolt
    Dana 60
    Corporate 14 Bolt
    Stuff off old '70s trucks

I've found some good deals on used stuff locally, where I could get either 3 of those with things like disc brakes or a posi/locker already installed, usually in either 3.73 or 4.11 gear ratios. Lot of added bonuses there. I really want a traction device in the rear because I do a lot of highway driving in mixed snow, where 4WD is not practical poor road conditions develop faster than I can reach to the floor.
    Side question: Anyone have any experience with an auto locker in the snow?

I only want to purchase something like this though if it's going to be relatively simple. If the 10 bolt is strong enough to last me, I'd prefer to not even bother. Last question: Is it possible to find out the spline count on a 10-bolt without pulling it apart? Cuzidonwana
    Last edited by flomulgator; 04-18-2011 at 07:25. Reason: ^ Is with stupid
    Rojo Grande
    1991 GMC Suburban V2500ish
    every option included, every option broken
    265K on the 3rd, yes 3rd motor
    6.5 block/heads, 6.2 plumbing
    Banks Turbo, 4" exhaust
    33" BFG-MT on black wheels
    3/4 ton axle swap