Thread: Dexcool vs. other coolants

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by sopicki View Post
    Jim,

I realize I'm probably in the wrong topic for this thread, but I found it using a search for DexCool and diesel engines.

Thank you for your reply. I've been debating making a routine out of re-torqueing the head bolts to make sure the proper pressure is applied to the head and sealing gaskets. I've run this by a few diesel mechanics and they emphatically say NO - DONT DO IT! If it ain't broke don't fix it, but I worry about the bolts stretching.....and it does have a turbo.

The problem I face right now is if a head gasket does let loose I don't have the injector height tool used to set the injectors. I've searched the internet and old diesel shops but can't locate one. Once a head gasket is replaced the injectors need to be re-set and that can't be done without the height setting tool.

I've not been able to get anything back from Detroit, but I'm still working on finding an engineer who worked on the design and support for this engine.

Thanks again,
    Retorquing head bolts/studs used to be a thing a couple or three decades ago, but the GM 6.2L/6.5L and Duramax engines were (since the early 1990s) factory equipped with TTY (Torque-to-Yield) head bolts, which were designed to maintain a somewhat elastic stretch during the final torque-angle turn during installation. This elastic pre-load can better compensate for thermal expansion and head gasket compression, which allow TTY bolts to provide for a long lasting clamping load over time - most auto engine manufacturers use TTY head bolts. In reality, only the "power players" - those who modify their engines to produce far more than stock power need to consider swapping to head studs. It's my opinion that the unmodified Duramax, with its aluminum heads, are better served with TTY head bolts than with studs.

More discussion concerning the question of whether TTY factory head bolts or head studs are better can be found here.
    Last edited by More Power; 09-29-2021 at 09:49.