Thread: 1999 6.5L Performance upgrades

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talking 1999 6.5L Performance upgrades

Hey everyone-

Ok well this is the story I have moved from the 6.2l diesel section because my 1987 Suburban blew up and i am tired of dumping money into it so its going to be a parts rig...

Anyway my NEW (at least to me) 1999 K2500 suburban 6.5L diesel with 100k on it just pulled into my driveway and shop...

Now I am excited to put on some upgrades to get the best combo of power and towing ability as well as mpgs...

SO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT I SHOULD CONSIDER DOING TO IT....?

It was regularly maintenance and has no issues, the past owner is the original and a good friend of mine...

I was thinking of 4 inch down pipe/ exhaust, cold air intake... And curious about water/ methanol injection (has anyone used it and is it safe for a diesel)

Maybe a upgraded cpu from heath or ssdiesel etc... Any ideas? oh and a special thanks to everyone who helped me try and fix my old 87 6.2L...

Do the four inch. It will make a world of difference along with a good d/p. sounds like your on the right track to start.

following the exhaust, get a program done for the truck in conjunction with some sort of turbo control.

personal opinion is to use heath or kennedy. ssd sucks.

i am working on a different intake system for our 6.5's, but if you are keeping the stock box, get a good filter. current CAI on the market are pretty crappy. they will work if you port behind the marker light, otherwise, they draw air from a hot area.

w/m injection can be used safely. i ran a system on my truck that made a huge difference in cooling and with a 30-35% methanol mix made a very noticeable difference in power. most guys would run like a 10% mix on the 6.5's.

If your still looking for some more power, then hi-performance injectors in conjunction with your program.

while your doing all this, don't forget your cooling. w/m injection will take care of that, but if you don't do that, look at upgrading your cooling system.

good luck with the burb'!
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

oh, and i didn't ask, but i am guessing the PMD is relocated?

if not, you can extend it.

make sure the ground remains running to the pump or you won't get a start.

i moved mine in behind the drivers headlight. keeps it cool and out of the way.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Gauges first, then exhaust, chip/programming, and injectors.

A 4 " exhaust will gain you nothing but noise over a 3.5" system.

Make sure that the raidator is clear.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default relocating the PMD?

What is the advantage of relocating the PMD?

Default 4 in. Downpipe Naaaaaaa!

Not made ! 3 in. mandrel bent is is the largest down pipe made & will fit.. The rest can be 3 or 4in. STANS in washington state has the complete kit. Enjoy your new ride.
    4doorTAHOE6.5TD

16gaSxS is offline Moderator, Have Shotgun & dogs will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
    Gauges first, then exhaust, chip/programming, and injectors.

A 4 " exhaust will gain you nothing but noise over a 3.5" system.

Make sure that the raidator is clear.

I'm with John........
    95, 6.5, C-2500 extended cab shortbox, Auto transmixer 3.42 diff, Jardine exhaust system
    FSD Cooler replaced w/ Heath PMD Isolator
    Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller, Max E Tork chip '97 cooling upgrades, Kennedy Fan clutch,
    Glow Plug over ride,DeeZee 38.5 gallon Aux fuel Tank 225K miles and rolling

1994, 6.5 Blazer, 3:42 diff, 4 inch exhaust, Heath PMD Isolator, Heath Turbo-Master Boost Controller Max E Tork, Heath SB intake filter system.
    221K miles and rolling.
    Diesel Page member #81

Default Ok still more questions

thanks everyone! I found a exhaust system and I am in process of relocating the PMD...

How about CPU upgrades and Cold air intake, any specific brands to buy/ watch out of etc...

also my rig seems to be running very cool, maybe (180*) is this OK?

Thanks Again

Mike (New Guy)