Thread: Lil Red - Duramax 6600/Allison 1000 Conversion & OBS/NBS Dash Conversion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up Update 4-30-2024 - New Tail Light Lenses

It's been a long time since I polished the original tail light lenses on Lil Red. After polishing them the first time, they photographed well enough for the promotional photos I needed. They weren't perfect, but they were good enough, considering how much other stuff still needed to be done on the truck during that time. But that was then, and this is now - and the tail light lenses needed attention once again (see below). So.... instead of polishing them this time around, I thought I'd take the easy way out and just replace them.

Yes, I could have polished the original lenses shown here on the left... yet again. I have the polish and the buffer, but the foam rubber gaskets that seal the lenses against the truck have deteriorated somewhat, and the foam perimeter gaskets are porous enough to hold grime and/or wax, which makes them tough to keep clean.

Visually, one of the things I tend to notice about new vehicles is the shiny "jewel-like" faceted appearance of head/tail light lenses. New lenses just look... well... "new". Spiffy lenses improve the look of any truck.

I've used this "Eagle Eyes" brand of lenses before - I have a set of headlight/park lenses on the shelf for my 2001 GMC. The quality is pretty good. The new tail light lenses shown here were made in Taiwan and are priced reasonably via Amazon Prime... a little over $50/pair delivered. Being the hoarder that I am, I'll likely hang onto the original lenses for a while longer.

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 05-09-2024 at 09:15.