Thread: Lil Red - Duramax 6600/Allison 1000 Conversion & OBS/NBS Dash Conversion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Update - 2/28/2024 - Purple Power!

The power increases eventually reached the limits of the factory Allison. In working with Kennedy and ATS, we came to the conclusion that the "ATS Extreme" Allison would be a step in the right direction. It has been. While the original factory Allison could be made to slip with 500-hp and a power-brake launch at the strip, the ATS has yet to slip, even with more than 600 hp. The torque converter contains a 5-disk pack that provides for a solid connection once locked.

A note about this image... Originally, I used smoke-tinted covers for both the headlight lenses and turn signal lenses. I would then remove the smoke tinted headlight covers if/when the truck was driven in the evening or at night (very rarely). The covers were employed only during during the daylight hours. Because removing/replacing the covers was a royal PITA, I have since replaced the tinted covers with DOT tinted headlight lenses and tinted turn signal lenses. I did give up a small amount of illumination in exchange for a better match for my patience.

A local friend who also just happens to own a mechanics garage (and is a transmission expert), worked with me to install the new ATS Allison. The lift makes this sort of thing so easy, when compared to a transmission floor jack and jack stands...

Shift quality while using performance programming was pretty "performance oriented", sometimes producing a little "bark" from the rear tires at gear changes while on local highways. Who can resist using a little pedal? But, when toning down the ECM programming to near stock levels, the ATS Allison gets real close to factory Allison shift quality.

I've not had any code setting with this transmission - or any other problem. There's only about 12K miles on it since installation, and the ATF fluid remains nice. The transmission has seen only a couple of dozen 1/4-mile runs and a similar number of dyno runs so far, plus highway driving. But, I do plan to service the transmission this coming spring - new spin-on filter and pan filter, plus a fluid drain/refill. I'll report back once that's been completed... if we find anything unusual. Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 03-25-2024 at 18:23.