Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post
I missed your post last night..
I'll make some calls around here. How much would a 6.2L used be worth, probably with 200-300K on the clock? What else would I need to make the swap other than mounts and stuff. Engine, trans...

Oh, and the hydro boost, what is that exactly?
Diesel motors (for the most part) do not create vacuum like a gas motor so a vacuum powered brake booster won't work with one. Hydroboost uses a line from the power steering pump to power the brakes. You can get this out of any diesel truck, one ton truck and Astro van's use this. It's really easy to convert it.

You will need a larger radiator, if you go with an auto, get a good cooler for it as well. A RV size cooler is only $75 at Napa.

If you can get a donor vehicle, you will get everything you need. If you get the motor on it's own, don't forget the alternator, PS pump, A/C compressor (if equipped), starter (these are spendy), and intake box. These parts are not cheap if you buy them on thier own. If the motor has an A/C compressor, it's not hard to set it up with your current system so you keep your A/C.

Don't forget that after you install your new motor and trans, you will probably have to get a driveshaft as your current one will probably not be the proper length. Having yours modified to fit shouldn't cost more than $300 and if you are lucky will cost closer to $140. A new one shouldn't be more than $400 and depending on the shop might be even cheaper than resizing yours.

Your current guages will probably not work with this motor as your ECM will probably be wondering why the injectors and O2 sensors are. I would consider pulling the dash and replacing with aftermarket guages, or at least pull the check engine light and that way it doesn't tick you off being on all the time. The guages might work if you wire them the to proper sensors, just be prepared if it doesn't. Your Tach (if so equipped) will take a bit more work to make it work. I don't know how to start on that one, but there are some resources here that might be able to help you.

FYI, in a 1985 4x4 Suburban with 31" tires, and 3.54 gears I was getting 24 mpg with a 6.2L, in my 91 with 31" tires and 3.73 gears, I got 22 mpg most of the time. If two 6K vehicles can get this type of mileage, your 3K truck should do quite a bit better. If you can get 3.27 or 3.07 gears you'll probably get over 30, but there are no guarantees.