Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shuts off while driving - Stalling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default tips to check before spending lots of $$$$$$

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Before spending loads of $$$$$ as I did. Here's some tips that might be interesting of checking out. It only takes some of your time and might solve the problem. It worked for me ( after spending the money....)I bought my truck in April this year and I
    Last edited by JohnC; 09-20-2006 at 09:39. Reason: remove autolinks copied from another site
    1999 Chevy K3500 Dually 6.5 TD. 122K miles.
    1995 Chevy Suburban K1500. 168K miles.
    1998 Ford F150. 148K miles.
    1988 Ford Mustang GT convertible. 136K miles.
    1927 Ford ModelT.Speedster.

Here's my problem...........
    1996 GMC 6.5TD
    Runs good every now and then but most of the time it Burps and stalls on a regular basis. When it stalls the check engine light comes on. Might crank right back up and it might take a while to crank back up. When it burps going down the road it starts rattling very bad like the valves are coming loose. Get it home and let it sit over night and the loud rattling goes away and it runs fine until it decides to act up again which could be at any time. Had the IP/FSD replaced not too long ago at the dealer. We read the codes after one of these episodes and the code that popped up first said the Fuel Temp. Sensor was the problem. Is this a possibility?
    Looking for some place to start.............
    Fuel Filter changed...........
    Fuel flowing through bleed off.............
    Next?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
    1996 GMC 3500 6.5TD CrewCab Duelly
    150,000 Miles and still going.......

Question Stalling

I have a problem with the 6.5 (1994) model in a Chev. Silverado. The engine is a little hard to start and will actually shudder after warm up if you try to rev the engine to the point of maximum or intermeditate speed. Any answer for this. I have put a racor 230 filter system on the engine. Thanks John Worlow johnworlow@yahoo.com

Default Same thing

Hey everyone. I had the same problem with my '96 6.5...cruising along fine, then either it would buck or stall completely...would usually start on the coast in neutral but not always. Sometimes it would do this 15 times across the city (not fun in heavy traffic) until I got home, while on another day I could drive 300 km with nothing. I did some research on this site and got a cooler and an FSD. Took the plug off the old FSD, hooked 'er up and not a problem since. My FSD didn't come with a resistor so I ordered a #5 from ebay..some people say you need em, some don't, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm glad this website is here and everyone is so helpful. If your truck is doing this odds are good this is the problem. Thanks.
    Richard

Default So far so good

A little over a month ago I purchased this after market PMD. It has worked like a charm so far. I relocated to PMD to a different location as well. I will giver an update later down the road to let you, guys know how it does. I am not recommending this site as of yet but if you guys know anything or have any feedback let me know.

I will be bringing it in this week to the dealer. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as last time THE PMD/FSD it should still be covered under the extended warranty. This morning it did it again just shut itself off on the highway on way to work I restarted it on the fly and kept on driving. I'll keep you guys posted on the turnout from the dealer.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

panchosteam Guest

Hi guys,about this PMD problems,how about making some kind of air entrance from the front of the truck, and maybe with some kind of pipe or something create the entrance for the air and direct it right on the PMD,or maybe even make a litle breather from top of the hood, so cooling air can help on this heating problem. May be it will help who knows it is only an idea, i don't have one of this PMD'S on mine, went mechanical
    hope this helps.

1984 GMC 3/4 TON PICK UP NOW WITH 6.5 TD AND HEATH'S TURBO MASTER

BUZZ Guest

Rick,
    The DTC 13 is related to fuel shut down solenoid.
    The deep well socket looking thing on top of IP, in case you did not know.
    I am having shut down issues and today no start, first crank of the day. I plugged up a spare, used PMD and still no start. Well this is new. Also noticed a click click click when cranking but no run. This sounded lots like a loose spark plug wire on a gasser, you know, spark sound. Well I played around with wire and plugs still nothing. It finally started to run and shut back down. I then unplugged the fuel shut down sol., ran a straight 12 v to the shut down sol. and started right up. I then checked for 12 v at the now disconnected plug, and I read 12v. So I am now thinking not PMD but the 12 v feed going to this solenoid. Possible 12v but low current from ignition switch or bad grounds. OR maybe sol had trash or stuck and straight 12 v loosened things up a bit. Any way I plugged everything back up factory style and has run with out hitch today. Wonder if the click sound I heard was the fuel shut down sol opening and closing while cranking.
    I have cold start issues and will run a straight 12v to the sol tomorrow and see if cold starts are changed.
    I get paid by the word.
    Thanks
    Buzz

Hi Buzz,

Yes ...for a 94/95, DTC 13 is the shutdown solenoid. I thought it strange that I would get 36 and 13 but I don't know when they set since it always re-started each time.

By by the way DTC 35/36 are directly related to the PMD and the main fuel solenoid (like you said the shut down solenoid is different)

The shut down solenoid gets power from the ignition switch and the ground connection for it comes directly from the computer. There's a few plugs between so any loose/poor connection in either the ground or power (in those plugs) will cause a DTC13 when the key is on. (it sounds like your problem might be an ignition switch)

I had this problem with the 15 pin plug that caused this too several years ago.

I did replace my PMD last week and the thing starts and runs fine now.

I still have a problem with the PMD failures. I still think it's a mechanical failure possibly internal in the PMD. Those Motorola transistors just don't seem to get hot enough to fail due to heat. Even though they must be derated about 1.5 watts per degree above 25C They're still rated at 250w and 200 degrees C... I haven't measured the output current to the fuel solenoid but I don't think it draws much more than about 10A or so and that's pulse width modulated meaning that the duty cycle is not continuous. Has anyone actually measured the voltage/current output of the FSD?(You'd need a scope and a little test circuit to do it of course!)

I suppose there's other electronic devices in the PMD but I think it's simply a couple of switching transistors and a few other passive parts. Solenoid driver circuits are actually very simple.... Makes it about $30 in parts! MAN are we getting ripped off!.... Never mind that the PMD is possibly incorrectly/poorly designed too!

Anyway so far mine is running as good as ever so I either fixed it by cleaning up the plugs, replacing the PMD or reconnecting the system ground. (I also did a complete battery connection cleanup)

Hope yours goes as well!

regards,

Rick

Originally posted by BUZZ:
    Rick,
    The DTC 13 is related to fuel shut down solenoid.
    The deep well socket looking thing on top of IP, in case you did not know.
    I am having shut down issues and today no start, first crank of the day. I plugged up a spare, used PMD and still no start. Well this is new. Also noticed a click click click when cranking but no run. This sounded lots like a loose spark plug wire on a gasser, you know, spark sound. Well I played around with wire and plugs still nothing. It finally started to run and shut back down. I then unplugged the fuel shut down sol., ran a straight 12 v to the shut down sol. and started right up. I then checked for 12 v at the now disconnected plug, and I read 12v. So I am now thinking not PMD but the 12 v feed going to this solenoid. Possible 12v but low current from ignition switch or bad grounds. OR maybe sol had trash or stuck and straight 12 v loosened things up a bit. Any way I plugged everything back up factory style and has run with out hitch today. Wonder if the click sound I heard was the fuel shut down sol opening and closing while cranking.
    I have cold start issues and will run a straight 12v to the sol tomorrow and see if cold starts are changed.
    I get paid by the word.
    Thanks
    Buzz

I've recently puchased a (Canadian) 97 1/2T Silverado 6.5L at an auction. 121000 mi. Now you understand why it was at the auction. I didn't - I'm a diesel newbie - ignorant of 120000 mi warranties. I've also never done a forum before, nonetheless - I'll proceed. When driving the vehicle home from the auction I noted the RPMs seemed excessive - 2200 for 60 MPH. The error codes were 118, 223, 236,380, & 405. Took it into the dealership - reported 12 severed (Cleanly) wires going into the PCM behind the glove box and spliced all - engine ran intermittantly and spat out codes 223, 251, 370, 380, & 405. They finally cleared those, got it to run - markedly improved performance and stated they believed the EGR passages should be cleaned and the fuel filter should be replaced as the lift pump pressure 'appeared low'. Picked it up from the dealership and it stalled driving off the lot....... and numerous times since - both under load and going uphill. I've changed the filter and checked the lift pump pressure - 4.5 psi. Since becoming a member yesterday I've read with rapt interest the voluminous message traffic irt this subject - stalling. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and asked them to investigate the stalling and steered them towards the FSD. They insist on revisting the PCM harness and may perhaps work there way over to the FSD. Seems a plausible approach given someone had destroyed the harness and it IS possible a connector or conductor is degraded .....but all your postings about the FSD are very compelling - will update when known.

IRT the SOL-D product - as a supervisory electrical design engineer for the US Navy I can't over-emphasize the importance in 1st article testing of components that are to be placed in service in mission critical systems - whether it's the propulsion system on a nuclear aircraft carrier or your vehcile carrying your wife and children through a blizzard or across the desert - it had better be 'proven'. One observation from the SOL-D feedback comments is that the suspect diode was rated for 150 C - is that rise above ambient - or - absolute ? If ambient - what does your specification state as ambient ? Doesn't encapsulating the diode degrade it's thermal properties by trapping the dissipated heat ? I applaud this type of after market platform (SOL-D) and it's premise of attempting to improve/replace an OEM product - and I may ultimately install one as my confidence level in my dealership is waning - but I don't desire to be a participant (at my expense) in the test phase twice (dealership and SOL-D).
    Having said all this - anyone ever encounter similar issues - ie cut harnesses ? My bet is the previous owner astutely determined how to bypass the PCM and keep it running (degraded performance) and once > 120000 - took it to the auction.
    thanks

Question

Yantze, you mentioned that this was a Canadian truck, which means that the odometer would display in kilometes - does it show 121,000km or did you do the conversion from 197,000km to miles?
    - Just curious.
    95 K2500 Silverado 4x4 Ext Cab 6.5 TD VIN 'F' Dual t'stat housing & H.O. pump FSD cooler
    94 GMC K2500 4x4 5.7 gasser
    92 Subaru with 9 lives & 320K km
    67 Chevelle SS396 ragtop (in storage)
    Lots of plans - So little time & $$

Got the Blazer back from the dealer on Friday. Result like I suspected from the begining the PMD! I'm thinking of purchasing the remote PMD package from A1 customs. Has anyone bought anything from them?

later
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

rjschoolcraft Guest

I would not recommend that guy. Lot's of negative feedback. Kennedy Diesel or Heath Diesel would be better choices, with my preference being Kennedy.

JohnC Guest

Originally posted by Eddys:
    I'm thinking of purchasing the remote PMD package from A1 customs. Has anyone bought anything from them?
    All I will say is that he is banned from this and at least one other site.

Went thru the stalling prob with my 98 Cured the prob with Bill Heath's unit. No problems and a clean install. High reguards for his product
    Dave
    1998 K-1500 ex-cab 6.5<br />1988 P-30 box truck 6.2<br /

Thanks guys for you feed back on the PMD. I'll have a look at Kennedy diesel and Heath diesel. I just want something that works and not requiring too many modifications. I liked the concept of A1 customs which included the wiring harness which made it plug and play and bolted on the firewall. I also tried to email remarq (SOL-D) for more information and they never replied. I guess they don't need my money.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Hey EDDYS,

How has the A1 Custom PMD working out?

94blue.

Hi 94Blue

I have not purchased it. I was thinking about it but when I mentioned A1 customs on the forum I got a few negative feedbacks therefore I will wait on that. I started looking at Remarq (SOL-D) but not impressed with the reviews I read so far.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

THAT'S WHY I ASKED,

I DID'NT SEE THE REVIEWS ON THIS BOARD DID I?

EMIAL ME IF YOU THINK ABOUT IT.

JAY@TRANSWORLDINCELECTRIC.COM

THANKS,

94blue

Just an update going on the second week with replacement PMD from the dealer. The truck runs fine. I was also impressed yesterday it was -26C and -38C with the winds. The balzer fired right up without being plugged considering it was parked for 24hrs. I never thought it would of started that easy. I usaully plug it when it's -18C and colder. I also got email back remarq and this it.

Thank you for your interest in our SOL-D Solenoid Driver. Here are the answers to your questions:

"How difficult is it to install and how long?"

The new batch of SOL-D, available in the later part of February, will have a Kennedy Diesel modified wire harness and coupling connector that makes a plug-and-play installation. Estimated installation time is approx. 10-20 minutes.

"Does it come with an electrical connector or do I have to splice the existing electrical wiring harness?"
    Please see the above response.

"Where does it bolt on?"
    The SOL-D is recommended to be installed on the driver side M8 bolts holding the Upper Dome of the air intake manifold. Please see the picture on our website.

"Can I mount the SOL-D in a different location (e.g. the fire wall)?
    If so is the wiring harness long enough to do so?
    Sure you can if you use and extension wire harness from Kennedy Diesel. We do not consider necessary to extend the wire harness. The longer the wire harness the higher the electromagnetic radiation (these devices operates in electrical pulses) and radio interference may be higher.

"How long has this Sol-D been on the market?"

The SOL-D has been in testing for over a year, and on the market for 5-6 months.

"What
    96 GMC 1500 Z71