Thread: How much do you like your 6.5

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
    i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
    I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick

Default Love that Suburban

I fell in love with the 6.5 while in the service of the FDNY.
    We use them as Battalion Chief Cars and utility trucks. But I really wanted one after 9/11. At ground zero they were left running day and night with out a hitch, all you could hear was that old familiar sound purring away in the silence of the aftermath.
    Had to have my own.
    America Love it or Leave!
    1999 Cheverolet K2500 Suburban 4X4 LT
    Hybrid Diesel/Vegetable Oil conversion by me
    In Memory of My Fallen FDNY Brothers
    Never forget Never Forgive

I love my stupid suburban soo much that I am going to go ahead and dump a pile of cash into a truck that when finished would only sell for the amount of money I'm dumping in!!

I figure before the dust settles it will cost me 7K to do a motor swap...priced it many ways..

1) Buy a new AM Gen engine and just plop it in....7k

2) Haul my old block out, do it totally right (balanced, light weight pistons,rods, heads, cam, lifters etc and so on much machining.......6500 and I still have the old brittle block!

3) Buy another suburban on E-bay 7K and wait for the shoe to drop!

I was going to buy a new car for myself, but we all want the war wagon for going to our other hideaway. Its the only thing that hauls 3 dogs 2 adults 2 kids and all of our crap.

I'm a pathetic dope......

Sidenote:
    Truckie I'm down the road on the Job in Stamford....friends with several of the FDNY brothers. Quite a few came from our department...after 911 we picked up a couple early retirements from the city...Welcome aboard bro!
    95 Suburban 1500 Bone Stock Orig.
    purchased at 103K from first owner
    new alternator/autozone gold @104K
    re-trannyed with shift kit @107.5K
    new Bilsteins all around @ 127K
    Kennedy exhaust @128k ..zoom!
    new lift pump w/OPS bypass @ 130K
    Kennedy FSD cooler @ 135K
    New IP/Injectors/G-plugs @ 137k
    Another autozone alternator and Optima Reds @ 150K
    Another pump and injectors @157K
    New chain and gears @157K
    HO pump single therm setup @157K (will see what happens)
    Head gasket or worse to be determined...164k
    NEW AM General 6.5 installed and running well! @ 164K!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom309 View Post
    6.5 diesels get into your blood then there's no getting away,.
    i have a MGW wannabe dually with the same fancy wood interior, consoles, flares, cab extender thingy with a wing,. sunvisor. It's canadian camouflage in color, with red interior, it has 131,000mi and recently it developed a terminal type problem, 1 hole quit working and is pressurising the crankcase pumping oil everywhere, but it made it home nearly 500mi using 9 gals or oil,.and yesterday when it was F-F-F-F...ahem,.. Freezing cold -30c or so,. after two glows, it fired off as usual on its lumpy 7 cylinders,.went to my friends shop pulled intake and lines to see if mebbe it was something really easy like a skewed rocker arm,. but no ,. so i,ve a line on another engine,.and i'll be transferring all my stuff over to make the old girl go again,.
    I still love the truck,. but i,m almost ashamed to say,. i,d love it more with a LB7 and an allison in it,..(and 3:21's) I like the style of the 92-2000 trucks more than the later models,

Nick
    Howsabowt some updates as we get towards another year end?

The truck i bought for the motor for the dually has gotten to me too,.
    its a 94 extended cab 4x4,. runs like a champ, i put a 5068 pump on it and it runs and pulls real well,.it's rusting away under me tho,..shame.
    I,ve driven it back and forth between Ontario and Alberta 3 times,. last time pulling a pretty good load,.
    bottom line i just love the old thing,

Still loving 6.5 diesel
    1999 chev suburban C2500
    300,000 mi