Thread: Need a good filter please---advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Need a good filter please---advice

I just did a cold air modification on the LBZ yesterday utilizing the stock air box and plumbing. What I did was discard the passenger recovery hook in the air dam, install a scoop plenum in it and run a 3" tube from it to the air box. The results are rewarding; at 88 degrees ambient and running 60mph the intake air tempreture dropped from from 116 degrees to 106 degrees with the added outside air. Performance and smoothness are improved, but the main goal was to lower temps. though I'm not sure how to do a sound analysis of the EGR's I suspect that there was some improvement there also--I hope---; heavy towing with high EGR's is what set this in motion to start with. (Banks exhaust due in next week and some contemplation over their innercoolers---very pricey but if I could get some good feel for actual temp lowering maybe worth it).
    Anyway what this boils down to is I'd like to have an air filter with better flow and no filtering compromise. I've been the K&N route on gassers and have sworn never to expose another engine to the grit injestion that they provide. I know that Banks is using a gauze with their cold air package, surprising but maybe there are some out there that actually filter--I don't know--no experience.
    I'd love some input on any high flows that actually filter, thanks.
    Last edited by moss6; 07-05-2007 at 17:48.