The problem with the 471 or any other 71 series engine is that is has a longer stroke than a 53 series and it cannot turn to as many RPM. A 71 series can't be turned past about 2600 while a 53 can be turned as far as 3200 safely. The advantage of a 53 is that you can take the back housing off an aluminum block 353, some of them had a back housing that would bolt to a chevrolet bell housing. I've got one I'm fixing to put in a 1985 Chevy 1 ton, It is a 453 Cast iron block, a back housing off an aluminum 353, it will bolt to the existing bellhousing and a 4 spd manual tranny. The only problem is that the housing won't fit a 6v engine. I work for a man that specializes in 2 stoke detroits, he is awesome at all of this stuff. He had one of those 353s with the chevy bolt pattern in a half ton truck, but he wrecked the truck. Still has the engine, complet with bellhousing and motor mounts, I think I'm going to buy it, as its only $1250 and I think it might be great for a project down the road sometime. I am going to see how the little detroit does in the truck, if I like, I'm going to have it rebuilt as a turbo motor later. A 453 turbo would give you all the power you need, they used to put them in ton and half chevys, but I am looking at one day having a 6v53t with an Allison Auto behind it, that would be ideal for a 1 ton, plenty of power.